Illini Fight Off Huskies

The #25 Illinois defense stifled Washington's star QB Jake Davis as Illinois won a more defensive game 19-17, although QB Jordan Harrison did help with over 300 yards in the air.

SKAGGS SKAGGS SKAGGS SKAGGS SKAGGS SKAGGS

Panthers QB Christian Skaggs throws for 506 yards on 49 attempts, adding 6 TD to 0 INT, as the Panthers rout the Bucs at home 42-12.

Hokie-Pokey Defense Turns Game Around

In a game that was 0-0 at the half, Virginia Tech managed to pull the upset of #12 Ohio State through a stifling defense that held OSU to just 3 field goals.

Sustainable Bills Sneak Past Saints

The Bills scored in every quarter, putting up 35; they nearly lost anyway as the Saints scored 27 in the 4th quarter in a close 35-33 game.
Sign in to follow this  
DangerZoneh

[2023] Quick Talk with Taylor Cook

Image result for tcu football quarterback

On Saturday, July 27th, the TCU Horned Frogs will take on the Penn State Nittany Lions in the CFBHC kickoff game. This primetime matchup features a number of exciting storylines. TCU returns to the spotlight after an historic 2022 season while the two-time national champion Nittany Lions arrive at a stage that they’ve become plenty comfortable with. Both schools feature quarterbacks in their first game, with Dillon Sneed taking the reigns at Penn State and Taylor Cook surpassing incumbent quarterback Felix Luck to take the starting job at TCU. Cook was the number one ranked quarterback in the country coming out of high school and the second highest ranked player in the state of Texas, only behind fellow teammate Patrick Ross. There have been rumblings of Cook potentially getting the starting job since the beginning of last season, and now that he’s finally obtained the job, heavy expectations ride on his shoulders. TCUInsiders reporter Dustin Zahl caught up with Taylor Cook yesterday and managed to ask him a few questions about the offseason and the upcoming game.

DZ - “Hey Taylor, glad we managed to get a chance to talk to you today. I’m sure that these past couple of days have been pretty busy for you. How does the preparation process compare to playing in high school?”

TC - “Honestly, it’s not too different. Yeah, we got a lotta different stuff to do like media and this. I had to do interviews and stuff and camps but this is ridiculous. As for the game itself, I prepare the same way I did in high school. Maintain focus and once I’m in the game, everything will fall into place. I mean… it worked until now, right?”

DZ - “It certainly has. Very briefly, I want to talk about the past couple of months. I know that you’ve likely heard a lot about it and want to move forward, so quickly describe to me the battle that led to you taking the starting job.”

TC - “I came to school here intending to compete for the job from the start. I love Felix and he’s really become a close friend of mine. That being said, I came here to win. I came to win the job, I came to win the conference, I came to win the Heisman, and most importantly I came to win a national championship. This starts tomorrow.”

DZ - “Wow, strong words. In that case, what should we expect to see out of the TCU offense this season? Alongside you taking the starting job, Griffin McHanna was given the starting job at running back.”

TC- “Boy, just you wait. I can’t wait to show off what we can do. Y’all don’t even know. You saw Griff in the spring game but you ain’t seen us together. He’s so quick. He can hit holes that I didn’t even know were there. Plus he can catch out of the backfield and break one deep. People ain’t gonna know how to defend him. This is gonna be something special. We got some real dogs out there and we’re gonna make a splash.”

DZ - “I can’t wait to see it. How do you think this new look Horned Frogs offense match up against the Penn State defense?”

TC - “Their defensive line has some serious monsters, dude. Have you seen them? Seriously, the first time I watched film I didn’t believe it. I trust our offensive line, plus we have some ways to keep them on their heels. The rest of the defense is talented as well, but it’s hard to compete with some of the guys we have. Their linebackers are gonna have a hell of a time with Miguel and Finn. FT always finds a way to get open, and Julio will torch em. At least that’s the plan. 

DZ - “Do you think much about the history of this game? Two programs that have made a name for themselves over the past decade, battling each other for the first time. I know you’ve just now become a part of it, but to the fans, there’s a lot invested in this game.”

TC - “It means a lot to me because it means a lot to the fans. It’s big stuff, man. Penn State was the big boys of college football back when I was growing up. I was 11 when Todd Jennings won the Heisman. It means a lot to be able to get a chance to take one from them in their house. Show the folks back home that we’re not to be messed with, y’know? So it’s not gonna get to me, I’m just hyped for the chance.”

DZ - "What are your expectations for this coming season, looking past Penn State?"

TC - "Everyone always says one game at a time to this question but it's such trash. We look damn good and I can't wait to show it off. there are some other damn good teams like we saw last year. I don't know what to expect but I'm looking at every opponent and I see a lot of fun games. I think we're gonna put on a show every week this season, one way or another. I want to turn TCU into must-see TV. We have the men to do it."

DZ - "Watching the spring game, you bring an element of mobility to the offense that TCU hasn't seen a lot of outside of Johnny Green and a year of Sam Milner. Who was your idol at quarterback growing up?"

TC - "Definitely Allan Taylor. The first year I really started to get into football was 2013 and he and Virginia Tech were just SO lit. Onterrio was also incredible that year, but I loved AT's ability to throw. I'm not nearly athletic enough to be either of them, but watching Taylor really helped me learn how to move my body in space to stay on my feet. I can't wait to show it off."

DZ - "Finally, of your teammates, who do you think doesn't get enough credit? Who can we expect to see a big year out of?

TC - "Well I already told y'all about Griff but y'all also already see that one coming. Hmm... Well he ain't gonna play but did you see my boy Landon in the spring game? Give him a couple years and the dude will be filthy. Julio is gonna tear things up in the slot. Really, that's gonna be a mismatch every time. I've never played with someone so fast, dude. He runs track and everything. Don't sleep on Matteo either, y'all. The Cat will still get carries even with Griff starting.

DZ - “Well, Taylor. It was great to get a chance to talk to you. The atmosphere is already electric and you seem ready to go. Good luck tomorrow and Go Frogs!”

TC - "Go Frogs!"