Illini Fight Off Huskies

The #25 Illinois defense stifled Washington's star QB Jake Davis as Illinois won a more defensive game 19-17, although QB Jordan Harrison did help with over 300 yards in the air.

SKAGGS SKAGGS SKAGGS SKAGGS SKAGGS SKAGGS

Panthers QB Christian Skaggs throws for 506 yards on 49 attempts, adding 6 TD to 0 INT, as the Panthers rout the Bucs at home 42-12.

Hokie-Pokey Defense Turns Game Around

In a game that was 0-0 at the half, Virginia Tech managed to pull the upset of #12 Ohio State through a stifling defense that held OSU to just 3 field goals.

Sustainable Bills Sneak Past Saints

The Bills scored in every quarter, putting up 35; they nearly lost anyway as the Saints scored 27 in the 4th quarter in a close 35-33 game.
smackemz

[2023] Smoking Musket - Coach Smackemz Needs to be on the Hot Seat

large_The_Smoking_Musket_Full.37269.png

Hanzo Genji - Contributor

Listen, First I want to point out that I love WVU football as much as anyone in the world, but I think the athletic department needs to seriously consider this to be a make-or-break year for coach smackemz and the football staff.  

I understand, it sounds a little outlandish at first but if take a step back and look at the whole situation and I promise a good portion of you will agree with my statement.  Initially, coach came in and turned the program around winning 18 games during his 1st 2 seasons, including a blow-out win in the 2020 conference championship game.  The highs were great as Mohammed Foster won the school's 1st Heisman trophy, J.C. Weldon and Hudson Adam picked up All-American births, and we made the 2020 CFBHC playoffs.  

The highs quickly eroded as the program struggled to an unacceptable 2-10 record during the 2021 season where I'm pretty sure I could have performed better as a quarterback than what was being put on the field.  At the time the regression was understandable with the early departure of MoFo and Weldon plus the graduation of Adam, Dupree, and others from the 2020 team.  Recruiting was great that year and the optimism was high in the program.  

Fast forward to 2022 and the team turned it around and pulled an upset over Oklahoma State to get to 6 wins for the year and a birth in the Texas bowl where they would lose again to LSU.  At the time, like everyone else, I was pretty excited about the direction of the program.  We had outperformed the Chicago Tribune's projections and got into a bowl early, but now as I look back the team's performance in its 6 losses by 4 or less is really concerning to me.  The team lacks discipline and drive when the games get close and I think that 100% comes down to poor coaching by smackemz and the staff.  

Now here we are in 2023 and the team looks as clueless as ever in these close games.  This was the year the team was supposed to take a leap and get back into the upper portion of the Big XII and the start of the year has frankly been unacceptable.  The offense and production from Martin Lake has been uninspiring, the defense plays great for 97% of the game and then gives up huge scoring plays that frankly comes down to poor preparation from the staff.  

Take this for example.  WVU lead UVA 14-6 going into the half of the Week 2 game in Charlottesville.  Our brilliant coach made 0 adjustments and we came out and could only muster 6 points total in the 2nd half, while giving up big play after big play to the Cavaliers.  The end result is another close loss in a mountain of close losses that define the smackemz era.  Combine that performance with the killer pick 6 that Martin Lake threw in the opener against VT that cost us the game and you have a trend of a team that kills itself when the bright lights are on.  

Remember the 18 wins in the first 2 years.  Smackemz has only won 8 of the past 27 games since that playoff birth in 2020.  That's shouldn't be acceptable regardless of how deep the talent void was coming off of that season.  The fact of the matter is there are hot up and coming coaches like @GigemAgs at Hawaii or @mahrowkeen at UTSA at these G5 programs who could come in and elevate this program to the next level.  Maybe all these close losses indicate a coach who is elevating a lesser team to higher standards, but its starting to look like a coach who can't win the games necessary.  Losing games affects recruiting, which hurts the product on the field, it's a killer cycle and if this season doesn't turn around quickly I think the athletic department needs to make a move.  

The people of West Virginia deserve better, the University deserves better, and we as fans deserve better than a middling uninspiring coach and program.  

8 minutes ago, smackemz said:

Anyone named this can't be trusted.

...Skip?  Is that you, Skip?

This take is too hot for my tastes. 

2 hours ago, smackemz said:

The people of West Virginia deserve better, the University deserves better,

Imma hit you with some serious doubt

Self Firing:ph34r:??

6 hours ago, smackemz said:

There's so much to unpack here holy shit.

1 hour ago, Osu said:

Self Firing:ph34r:??

Oh I’m not the only one who thought about this? 

Thanks for the jinx man :(

West Virginia doesn't deserve @GigemAgs. The people there wouldn't know how to treat someone with all of their teeth!

4 hours ago, The Gahsode said:

West Virginia doesn't deserve @GigemAgs. The people there wouldn't know how to treat someone with all of their teeth!

You should take your act on the road.  With a little practice you could be a star

2 hours ago, smackemz said:

You should take your act on the road.  With a little practice you could be a star

That would mean he'd have to leave his couch. Not. Gonna. Happen. 

I, for one, certainly hope that WVU maintains its faith in Coach Smackems--at least until Week 5, when Oregon comes calling on the 'Neers. 

15 hours ago, bingo415 said:

That would mean he'd have to leave his couch. Not. Gonna. Happen. 

Bold of you to assume I have the money for a couch.