Hoosier Daddy?

The last undefeated team in the Big Ten is... Indiana?!?! The Hoosiers went on the road and dominated Wisconsin en route to a 31-17 win.

Wegrets as QBs Wheeled Out For Season

Jets QB Erik Wegert severely ruptured his PCL on TNF, and Titans QB Thomas Wheeler tore his rotator cuff Sunday, significantly hurting the hopes of both teams for 2023.

Horned Frogs SteAMRALled

#6 Oklahoma State took it to TCU, going up 28-7 at halftime and winning 38-14. RB Amral Brown came up huge with 142 rushing yards and 2 TD.

100-yard Curse Blackballed

The Colts hadn't had a 100-yard rushing game since Tony Peaks posted 150 and 2 TD in Week 17 of 2018. 2 games of JB Blacknall later, a 5-year drought is broken.

Catch Or No Catch?

Bengals WR Adrian Jankowski was furious that this catch on MNF didn't count, and it led to a tantrum and fine. Was it a catch? Depends on the perspective.
Sign in to follow this  
Soluna

Laviska Shenault

Can anyone tell me anything about this WR from Colorado? I'm researching stuff for next year's draft and don't follow CFB close enough to care about the Pac.

From what I have read/heard he is an offensive weapon at Colorado. Because he is so strong, fast and elusive they manufacture him touches in lots of different ways (wildcat QB, sweeps, screens etc.). He's really good in space as a ball carrier and is also a good receiver at the catch point (jumping, hands, body control) but has a limited route tree. He hasn't faced much press coverage so don't know much about his releases, and with his limited routes there is some cause for concern. Very high potential player and is pretty dangerous already, but has had some injury trouble.

1 minute ago, TazerMan said:

From what I have read/heard he is an offensive weapon at Colorado. Because he is so strong, fast and elusive they manufacture him touches in lots of different ways (wildcat QB, sweeps, screens etc.). He's really good in space as a ball carrier and is also a good receiver at the catch point (jumping, hands, body control) but has a limited route tree. Very high potential player and is pretty dangerous already.

I've been seeing him in the top 5 range on mocks for next year and only heard his name in cursory discussions last year.  I watched some tape and he looks pretty good.

Do you have an idea of a comparable NFL player who looked similar as a draft prospect? Anyone who had concerns about limited route running ability (that isn't DK Metcalf lmao).

A bit off topic, but I would like to see an AJ Epenesa thread, seeing him pretty high in some mocks.

1 minute ago, Soluna said:

I've been seeing him in the top 5 range on mocks for next year and only heard his name in cursory discussions last year.  I watched some tape and he looks pretty good.

I dunno if he is top 5 considering Jeudy, Ruggs and Lamb are probably better pure receivers, but I think he's definitely talented

1 minute ago, Soluna said:

Do you have an idea of a comparable NFL player who looked similar as a draft prospect? Anyone who had concerns about limited route running ability (that isn't DK Metcalf lmao).

He gets quite a few comparisons to Sammy Watkins which I think are reasonable. Some liken him to Julio (a bit rich imo but they have some similar physical traits). DJ Moore is another one - gadgety player who is really athletic and strong. Not a conventional X receiver but suits the modern NFL pretty well.

6 minutes ago, Soluna said:

He reminds me of a Tyreek Hill, but he’s way bigger and stronger hence he has way more hype. But I think like Tyreek he can develop those route running skills and could become a monster receiver.

11 minutes ago, SyndaKyt said:

A bit off topic, but I would like to see an AJ Epenesa thread, seeing him pretty high in some mocks.

Make it my dude!

11 minutes ago, Soluna said:

Make it my dude!

I could but I don't watch much film on him. I couldn't really tell you his traits or nothing.

I know he's an extremely talented player and he grows out his hair to honor his late father. I think if he falls into the right situation he could be lethal

15 hours ago, TazerMan said:

From what I have read/heard he is an offensive weapon at Colorado. Because he is so strong, fast and elusive they manufacture him touches in lots of different ways (wildcat QB, sweeps, screens etc.). ...  Very high potential player and is pretty dangerous already, but has had some injury trouble.

Pretty much this.  Injury is the biggest concern with Shenault right now; he missed last week's game against Arizona(unspecified injury) and is day-to-day for the Oregon game.  I've never been as high on their QB Steven Montez as some others are, so I think that most of his stats are on him and not the QB.  I don't know that he excels in any one area, but I do think his agility is really good for his size (6'2" 220) and that he is a decent blocker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-iWaJTdO_Y

He does has some burn to him, check out the play at 1:26.  Free play due to offsides, his defender is playing about 10 yards or so off but Shenault just obliterates that cushion and runs right past the CB.  Only an underthrown ball lets the CB get back into the play and commit pass interference.

Receiving stats to date:

SEASON REC YDS AVG TD LNG
2017 7 168 24 0 58
2018 86 1,011 11.8 6 89
2019 17 226 13.3 2 42

Rushing stats:

SEASON ATT YDS AVG TD LNG
2017 2 4 2 0 3
2018 17 115 6.8 5 49
2019 9 66 7.3 1 23

Shenault has been one of the most frustrating CFF picks I've ever made. I thought he was a lock to go off this year, but Turner changed their philosophy a bit and Montez just isn't good. I do think Shenault when healthy can be a top 5 WR talent in CFB though. His versatility is insane.

11 minutes ago, grv413 said:

Shenault has been one of the most frustrating CFF picks I've ever made. I thought he was a lock to go off this year, but Turner changed their philosophy a bit and Montez just isn't good. I do think Shenault when healthy can be a top 5 WR talent in CFB though. His versatility is insane.

What injuries has he had? Lingering stuff or just minor?

7 hours ago, Soluna said:

What injuries has he had? Lingering stuff or just minor?

He had surgeries on his labrum and toe this past offseason and the coaching staff hasn't disclosed what his current injury is.

On 10/6/2019 at 6:52 PM, Soluna said:

I haven't actually watched him but anytime I hear about "offensive weapons with limited route trees" I'm immediately reminded of Cordarrelle Patterson. I remember the Vikings sub in 2013 saying things like "oh we can coach him up" but yeah that didn't happen (that'll happen when your QBs are Christian Ponder, Matt Cassel, and very raw Theodore Throwsevelt and your OCs Bill Musgrave and Uncle Norrrrrrrrv).