Pope, Eric, the Second

#7 Oklahoma QB Eric Pope reclaimed his starting job, and proceeded to go 25/36 for 343 yards and 4 TD as Oklahoma routed Texas 52-13.

Devy Flexes His Guns in Miami

The Saints pull the upset over Miami. Saints QB Aaron Devereaux threw for 3 TD as the New Orleans defense held Miami to 5 rushing yards in the 31-27 victory.

Meep Meep

UTSA snaps #11 Rice's 26-game winning streak in CUSA games with a decisive 31-20 road victory. QB Justin Radford threw for 208 yards and had 3 total TDs.

Foster: Chicagoan for QB

Bears QB Mohammed Foster has come into his own as the team has jumped to a 6-3 start. Foster put up 102 on the ground, including a 45-yard TD, in a 20-10 victory over LA.
  • Shoutbox

Shoutbox

Please enter your display name

Sign in to follow this  
NCAA Transfer Portal

[2023] Notice of Investigation into Duke University

This serves as a formal notice that the Duke Blue Devils football team is under investigation for practices stemming from the 2023 transfer process.  According to their pre-transfer depth chart, ILB Ryan Trent 6-1 237 (Sr) Danville Community College (Danville VA) 4.0 of 4.0 [Will] was given the starting job.  Yet their depth chart after the transfer process shows that ILB Jordan Harley 6-3 209 (So) Putnam County (Eatonton GA) 3.5 of 4.5 [Will] as the starter with Trent as the backup and it has remained this way up to now.

Witnesses interviewed claim that when asked about the switch and its timing, coach @Darman stated that he simply changed his mind as to who was going to start and gave no further explanation.

Instead of being able to play FBS football in his last year of eligibility as he was apparently promised, he is now relegated to backup status.  He cannot even be given the opportunity to compete for the job next season as Mr. Trent is a 5th-year senior.

Whether intentional or not, this gives strong indications of gaming the transfer system and this cannot be left unaddressed.  The results and any repercussions will be posted when complete.

The Duke coaching staff may respond, either here or via private correspondence to the @NCAA Transfer Portal.

Spoiler

5aOP6o0.png

YpUYx9j.png

Any and all allegations are baseless and I will be responding to them shortly. 

I was under the impression 5th year senior transfers were only eligible for FCS?  How is this guy even playing at Duke?

Phase 2: This is a two-week process similar to JuCo.  Any players still in the portal may be bid on except for redshirt seniors, who can only go to FCS schools.  However, players may have considerations listed that affect the decision process.  The higher the consideration, the more it can influence a school's recruitment of them - both good and bad. (e.g. a 1.0 prestige school probably shouldn't try recruiting a player that values Team Prestige highly).  Just like Phase 1, coaches spend points and can make promises to further influence the player.

4 minutes ago, rabidsnowman said:

I was under the impression 5th year senior transfers were only eligible for FCS?  How is this guy even playing at Duke?

He was a JuCo last year, not a transfer.

1 minute ago, Jieret said:

He was a JuCo last year, not a transfer.

Thanks, clears it up then :)

Response to notice of allegations

First off, I would like to say that I am disappointed by these allegations and how they were presented to me. 

It is noted in the allegations that witnesses said that I would not give elaborate answers when asked about the switch in my depth chart, and that being used against me feels like injustice. For one, I was not asked any questions by anyone in authority about switching the players in my depth chart. I feel that I should not have to answer any questions about my depth chart to other members unless I want to. There could be strategic reasons (which will be outlined in my private message) for making switches, and I may not want to give opponents information.

I will break down my public rebuttal to the notice of allegations in multiple parts, and more private information will be given directly to the committee. 

1st- I made no promise of Ryan Trent starting for me. He was a JUCO player who had both a family tie to Duke, and Duke was a primary preferred school. To suggest that I promised Ryan Trent anything is blatantly false. He was a JUCO players, and JUCO players did not have promises made to him. I offered him a scholarship, nothing else. Having a player on the depth chart at any time does not make a promise to be a starter. He knew before coming to the school that Jordan Harley was on my roster and yet he still decided to come play here. 

2nd - I was accused of not being forthcoming with information  on why I chose to make the switch between players. I will give my more private reasons directly to the committee, as I do not feel as I should have to publicly discuss my gameplan reasons for making a change. Like I said before, I do not think it is fair to use stuff I didn’t say in the shoutbox against me in this. Everyone here is a coach, and people I may play against. While the strategic reasons may be little, I feel I reserve the right to make a change without explaining my gameplan reasons. If it were a QB who was at the center of this, having to answer in the shoutbox to claims could give an advantage to other teams. However, I don’t like slippery slope answers, so I will say on principle, I should not be punished for not being forthcoming with “witnesses”. I also did mention the gameplan reasons to other members on another forum.

3rd - I feel that the committee should have questioned me first so I could explain my reasoning, and avoid any kind of public confrontation, which could have resolved this much quicker. I feel like with my length on the site, I should have been asked directly versus having this being sprung on me.

In Summary - 

There was no promise of starting made to Ryan Trent. I had gameplan reasons for making the position switch, among other reasons, and those reasons will be sent to you directly. I am disappointed by the process of this notice of allegations. 

I hope that all of these allegations will be dismissed quickly, as they have no merit and they only serve to stir up gossip and cause distractions. 

#FreeDarman

One further note:  This is an investigation.  All that means is that an irregularity has occurred that requires looking into.  

NO determination of guilt/innocence/intent has been made, and we suggest that no inferences towards any outcome should be made.  This notice means exactly what it says, that this matter is being looked into.

The fact that any member can just comment on this post willy nilly also speaks to how silly this is lmao 

#FreeDarman