Pope, Eric, the Second

#7 Oklahoma QB Eric Pope reclaimed his starting job, and proceeded to go 25/36 for 343 yards and 4 TD as Oklahoma routed Texas 52-13.

Devy Flexes His Guns in Miami

The Saints pull the upset over Miami. Saints QB Aaron Devereaux threw for 3 TD as the New Orleans defense held Miami to 5 rushing yards in the 31-27 victory.

Meep Meep

UTSA snaps #11 Rice's 26-game winning streak in CUSA games with a decisive 31-20 road victory. QB Justin Radford threw for 208 yards and had 3 total TDs.

Foster: Chicagoan for QB

Bears QB Mohammed Foster has come into his own as the team has jumped to a 6-3 start. Foster put up 102 on the ground, including a 45-yard TD, in a 20-10 victory over LA.
  • Shoutbox

Shoutbox

Please enter your display name

Sign in to follow this  
npklemm

[2023] (BOFA) Legacy Of: QB Chris Billings, Charlotte

20180913-IMG_2308%20(1).JPG

Welcome back! Today, we examine the Legacy Of Chris Billings.

Recruiting:

QB Chris Billings 6-2 213 Fr Edisto (Cordova SC) 2.5 of 5.0 [Scrambling]

Billings was among the highest rated players in the 2019 Recruiting Class. Being in the state of South Carolina, the dominate thought is that he would go to Clemson. And Clemson did get involved early and tried their hardest to land Billings. But, Billings had other ideas. Instead of going to the ACC, he decided to go to Charlotte and play in the C-USA. This was a huge surprise to the Nation, but Billings was confident in his decision.

Statistics (From Wiki):

3EX16kD.png

Billings spent his first two seasons running around trying to make something out of nothing. But, ball don't lie. He was plain bad. The C-USA is not a defensive Juggernaut of a Conference, but Billings still performed poorly. As a Junior, he did much better. He cut down his turnovers drastically, but still had troubles getting the ball to his teammates consistently. Following his Junior Year still, it seemed like Billings would end up being a total bust. But, his senior year has been very good. He's completing over 68% of his passes, with a QB Rating just shy of 170. We have to mention that Charlotte's SOS this year is the worst in the FBS.

Awards:

National:

None

Conference:

None

The C-USA has had some good QB play, Eric McLean is the top guy who comes to mind. Alexander Cassidy at Southern Miss is also very good. Riley West was great early on. But, a player with Chris Billings' talent should have at least been able to make 2nd Team All-Conference. He's on pace to make one of those teams this season, but 49ers Fans have to feel disappointed with how his first 3 years went.

Team Performances:

ggDPb2q.png

Woof. Charlotte is Bowl Eligible for the first time in Chris Billings' tenure. The 49ers went 2-22 in his first two years. It took scheduling the easiest schedule in the country to get to 6 Wins. Charlotte still has plenty of time left in the season to make the Conference Championship Game. 2023 could go a looong way to improving Billings' legacy. Of course, Quarterback isn't the only player on the field. But, just like I mentioned in the Jake Davis article, QB is the most important position. We partially a measure a QB's success in the teams W-L Record. And so far, Chris Billings doesn't measure well here. Even within the Conference, winning about 25% their games against the C-USA is not a good look.

Mitigating Circumstances:

1. Coaching Instability

Coach @Isaac recruited him to Charlotte and coached him through 2020. He then left the program and Coach Bills50 filled in for part of the 2021 season before retiring due to family reasons. In 2022, Coach dderk started as the Head Coach of the 49ers. Part way through the season, he then left. This opened the door for Coach Isaac to return to the program. But, in 3 seasons, Chris Billings had 4 Different (3 Unique) Coaches. All 3 Coaches had their different philosophical approach to the game. Had their own schemes and concepts. Chris Billings was constantly learning new schemes and terms. He's now spent a full season back in Coach Isaac's system and is playing very well. What if he had been in this system the whole time? Does Charlotte perform better? Is our view of Chris Billings different?

2. Supporting Cast

Here's his starting OL as a Freshman:

OT Elliot Doss 6-1 269 (Fr) Gilman School (Baltimore, MD) 2.0 of 2.0 [Pass Blocking]

OG Curtis Williams 6-7 278 Sr Sheehan (Sheehan CT) 4.0 of 4.0 [Pass Blocking]

C Charles Lloyd 6-3 277 (Fr) Jacksonville (JackJrnville, NC) 2.0 of 3.0 [Pass Blocking]

OG Norris Thompson 6-1 277 (Sr) Bertie (WindJrr NC) 2.5 of 2.5 [Run Blocking]

OT Mark Daugherty 6-4 280 Sr Bishop Donahue (McMechen WV) 2.5 of 2.5 [Run Blocking]

This group was among the worst in the Country. LG Curtis Williams could only do so much.

Here's his starting OL as a Sophomore:

OT Will Childers 6-2 321 Fr Grady (Atlanta GA) 2.5 of 2.5 [Run Blocking]

OG Walt Shank 6-6 261 (So) Pendleton County (Soanklin, WV) 3.0 of 3.0 [Pass Blocking]

C Charles Lloyd 6-3 277 (So) Jacksonville (JackJrnville, NC) 3.0 of 3.0 [Pass Blocking]

C Bryan Blue 6-2 280 Fr Amite (Amite LA) 2.5 of 2.5 [Pass Blocking] (as RG)

FB Francesco Hager 6-0 243 (So) Shade (Cairnbrook, PA) 3.0 of 3.0 [Pass Blocking] (as RT)

Elliot Doss tore his ACL early on, and that forced FB Francesco Hager to start. But, with Doss, this was still among the worst in the country.

Here's his starting OL as a Junior:

OT Parker Bush 6-5 290 (Sr) Williams (Williams, CA) 3.5 of 3.5 [Pass Blocking]

OG Walt Shank 6-6 261 (Jr) Pendleton County (Soanklin, WV) 3.0 of 3.0 [Pass Blocking]

C Charles Lloyd 6-3 277 (Jr) Jacksonville (JackJrnville, NC) 3.0 of 3.0 [Pass Blocking]

OG Drew Dyer 6-2 321 Fr Union City (Union City TN) 2.5 of 2.5 [Run Blocking]

OT Gavin Matthews 6-5 294 Fr Thomas County Central ( GA) 2.5 of 2.5 [Pass Blocking]

Much improved, but still a rough unit.

Here's his starting OL as a Senior:

OT Gavin Matthews 6-5 294 So Thomas County Central (GA) 2.5 of 2.5 [Pass Blocking]

OG Walt Shank 6-6 261 (Sr) Pendleton County (Soanklin, WV) 3.0 of 3.0 [Pass Blocking]

C Charles Lloyd 6-3 277 (Sr) Jacksonville (JackJrnville, NC) 3.0 of 3.0 [Pass Blocking]

OG Benjamin Bateman 6-4 277 So Twin Valley (Pilgrims Knob VA) 2.5 of 2.5 [Run Blocking]

OT Will Childers 6-2 321 Jr Grady (Atlanta GA) 2.5 of 2.5 [Run Blocking]

Another Step Back. OL has plagued Charlotte for years. I think we can attribute part of his failures early on due to the poor play of his OL.

Verdict:

49ers Fans will have a complicated feelings about Billings. If Charlotte wins the Division and can somehow beat Rice in the Championship Game, Charlotte fans may forget the 2-22 start. Even with that possible outcome, 49ers fans may look at his senior season and wonder why he couldn't do that earlier.

I think in the end, 49ers fans will look at his tenure with disappointment. All the talent in the world, but he just couldn't put it together for 3 Years. Charlotte going 6-30 in 3 years with a QB like Chris Billings can't end any other way. A Potential C-USA Championship can't wash those years away.

It blows my mind how bad the OL is at Charlotte. A couple 1/3.5 recruits would’ve done wonders for Billings.

Iirc, Billings was a fight between Charlotte and Clemson a bit. It was frustrating to see his struggles, but I'm glad to see him blossom into the 3rd best QB in NC

It was a 3 way battle the first 8 weeks. Until I realized Charlotte was spending every point on him and I kept losing other recruits. Then I bowed out and attacked all the 3.5s in the region and annoyed Imposter.

I'm glad he's playing better but is he actually getting better or is it because of the really soft schedule (opponents record 9-32)?  

29 minutes ago, joedchi said:

It was a 3 way battle the first 8 weeks. Until I realized Charlotte was spending every point on him and I kept losing other recruits. Then I bowed out and attacked all the 3.5s in the region and annoyed Imposter.

I'm glad he's playing better but is he actually getting better or is it because of the really soft schedule (opponents record 9-32)?  

Helps to play him in the correct scheme.

12 hours ago, joedchi said:

*murmured grumbling intensifies*