Cotton Bowl: #1 SMU vs. #8 Washington

In a rematch of Week 12, where SMU defeated Washington 23-20, QBs Marcus Burden and Jake Davis face off once again.

Fiesta Bowl: #2 LSU vs. #7 Tennessee

In a rematch of the SEC Championship Game, won by LSU 13-7, Tigers OLB Leonard England will try to get the better of Vols QB Adrian Goldson for a second time.

Peach Bowl: #3 Oklahoma vs. #6 Duke

In a matchup of noted Heisman candidates, the Sooners and CB Elijah Williams will try to stop the potent Blue Devils offense led by QB Bryce Thompson.

CFBHC Bowl: #4 Michigan vs. #5 Florida

A playoff matchup of last year's bowl season, where Michigan won 24-17, sees Wolverines RB Nick Rowland try to outpace Gators QB Darion Harrison.

BROWNS WIN!!!!

In the final week, the Browns, led by RB Sean Bell's 156 yards and 2 TD, avoid a winless season by the skin of their teeth in Week 17 by defeating the Bengals 30-24 in OT.
  • Shoutbox

Shoutbox

Please enter your display name

Darman

Writing flaws

@Hagan and I were talking about how one flaw we have with writing is not being able to use affect or effect. You can probably look back at old stuff I've written and see that I never really use those, and generally use the word impact instead. 

I was curious if anyone else have any other types of things they struggle with when writing. For affect and effect, no matter what I do, I can't use them right in a sentence. I know one is a noun and one is a verb, but when it comes down to it, I can't tell the difference. 

If you affect change, you've had an effect.

What's weird to me is I use those two words in nearly every document I produce for my firm yet I would consider myself a very inexperienced writer when compared to your experience. It's just a product of what we're writing about, I suppose. I'm a design engineer; when I write it's typically very dry, technical writings. It's brutal to the soul.

What I have issue with is deviating from that technical mould. Everything I write is based in various layers of fact and I don't try push an opinion that isn't rooted in that easily justifiable proof. I have a hard time when writing about something that's sort of "gray" and doesn't have a clear answer. More so, I can't write in a manner that convinces the reader one or another on a subject if I don't have facts fully fleshed out in my side.

In my academic papers I write really god damn long sentences. Dunno what it is but I just keep going until it becomes a conglomeration of commas and semicolons that takes up half a page. Fortunately my girlfriend, who usually edits my papers, knows that I do this and will just circle whole sentences and just yell at me to break it up into at least 2-3 smaller ones. 

I feel like I'm really bad with punctuation, specifically commas. I think I use them more than I probably should.

I also struggle with capitalization of certain words. I can never remember if I should capitalize a position for instance. So if I'm referring to Ball State signing a defensive end, should that be capitalized or only if I'm referring to the player specifically, as in "This week, Ball State signed Defensive End John Smith."

To this day I have no clue how to use affect and effect.  No idea.  I also always misspell definitely so I just put def instead.  Outside of that I always considered myself to be a really good writer for fun and for research papers and stuff.  But the one thing I have always wanted to do is write a book.  And every time I try to do that I get frustrated bc I'm nowhere nearly as good as the people I read (who are all bestsellers) and so I end up quitting.  Which is an absurd comparison... "Well if my first try can't be as good as a guy who writes dozens of bestsellers I'm not even gonna try."  But that's what I do.  Maybe one of these days I'll stick with one and finish it up. 

8 hours ago, Darman said:

For affect and effect, no matter what I do, I can't use them right in a sentence.

...can't use them correctly in a sentence.

If we're pointing out mistakes in writing....   ;)

I get repetitive. Maybe not in the same piece, but I'll use the same phrase over and over in several pieces.

45 minutes ago, npklemm said:

I get repetitive. Maybe not in the same piece, but I'll use the same phrase over and over in several pieces.

pee pee poo poo

I majored in English and now write 10-15k words a week for my job and it's kinda infuriating. But I can click on and off between caring about what I write and not. Generally, I don't try to be punctual in comments and I sure as hell don't worry about the shitbox lol