Bred First To Be Champions

The SMU Mustangs are your 11th CFBHC National Champions!

Detroit Sends Lions to Maul Chiefs

Detroit has won Super Bowl X! DE Ilan Kuhn was named Super Bowl MVP with 1.5 sacks and fumble recovery TD.

If You Can Dodge the Super Bowl, You Can Dodge a Ball

It's Pro Bowl season again, and with the return of the skills competition, Ron Rice (#97) will attempt to defend his dodgeball title.

The Cleveland Browns are On The Clock

The Browns dodged a winless season but still clinched the #1 pick. Who will they take #1 overall? Will they even keep the pick?
  • Shoutbox

Shoutbox

Please enter your display name

Sign in to follow this  
NASCARlson77

[2023] Central Michigan Recruiting Class Analysis

Image result for central michigan life

As the Central Michigan Chippewas put the finishing touches on their 2023 recruiting class, Central Michigan Life caught up with Head Coach, robcarlson77, to get his thoughts on this year's class. As it currently stands, CMU checks in with the #2 class in the Mid-American Conference and the #52 class in the nation. The staff may try to add a couple more pieces as the season winds down, but will likely try to save a few spots for potential JuCo transfers. 

Overall, the Chippewas head man has been pleased with the results of this years class. "I'm really proud of the effort our staff has put in on the recruiting trail. Michigan has quality talent and it was important to us that we focused our efforts in-state. That can be a challenge with so many FBS schools, but it worked pretty well for us this year. We obviously didn't get every player we had identified on our recruiting board, but we think this is a very strong class for us." The Chippewas focus on Michigan was evident, as 14 of their 15 commits are from in-state players. 

While CMU certainly shouldn't be upset about currently having the #2 class in the MAC, the coaches have to be frustrated with the fact that hated rival, Western Michigan, has the #1 class by a large margin. I asked robcarlson77 to comment about the gap between WMU and everyone else, but he declined, stating that they only focus on the players that commit to CMU and that he can't speak about another school's efforts.

Let's take a look at the full class as it currently stands, with comments from Head Coach, robcarlson77.

Jacob Gardner-Ware - DE - 1.0/4.5

O1pVsmZ.jpg

The Chippewa staff went hard after Gardner-Ware who is the #1 rated defensive end in the state. There’s no denying his talent, but he is a bit raw at the moment and may not be an immediate contributor. “Defensive end was high on our list of needs and we felt like Jacob was a must get for us. He has tremendous talent and great size for his age. He’s just a great kid all around and we’re happy he chose to remain in-state and suit up for CMU. We're confident he will be a terrific player and have a great impact on the defensive side of the ball.”

DaeSean Daniels - WR - 2.5/4.0

tmfXeRJ.jpg

Arguably the most ready to play commit in this class is wide receiver DaeSean Daniels from Portage Central High School. Like Gardner-Ware, Daniels was also the #1 rated player at his position. It’s rumored that his size, a mere 5’9 and 150 lbs, scared away some of the bigger schools. But in the minds of the Chippewa staff, Daniels has game changing talent and great speed. “I don’t know why more schools weren’t in on DaeSean, but I’m not complaining. We think he has the ability to play right away and be another weapon for Byron to throw to. Depending how things go, we may try to mix him into the return game as well. I think Chippewa fans are really going to love what this young man will bring to the field.”

Marco Bollinger - DT - 1.0/4.0 

Em3QF1R.jpg

Another key piece to the defensive line is defensive tackle, Marco Bollinger. Bollinger was the #2 defensive tackle in Michigan. CMU and MSU battled it out for Bollinger’s services, but it appears MSU may have cooled a bit after securing a commitment from the #1 tackle. “Marco is another kid we’re just thrilled to have. We were in constant communication with him hoping he would realize how much we wanted him to play here at CMU. We were upfront with him that we have some depth at tackle and we foresee him redshirting, and he had no issues with that. He knows it will give him some time to adapt to college life.”

Derrick Singleton - CB - 1.0/4.0 

X56m6em.jpg

With Singleton residing right in the Chippewas backyard, the staff was very familiar with the talented cornerback and were after him from day one. It was a slower process than most would have thought, but it was rumored that Singleton may have been looking for an opportunity to play outside of Mt. Pleasant, where he has spent his entire life. In the end, the Chippewa staff was able to lock him down. “Can’t say enough about what Derrick brings to the table. We were patient with him because we understood that he wanted to see what other schools had to offer. In the end, I think he just really connected with what we’re trying to build here at CMU and we know he will be a key piece for us. He's got great awareness and the ability to make plays on the ball. Derrick's got a bright future in the secondary."

Onaje Coleman - RB - 1.0/4.0

JktBjgn.jpg

The recruitment of Onaje Coleman was interesting, to say the least. As the #1 running back in Michigan, you would have thought a plethora of schools would have been after his services. Instead, Coleman only received three scholarship offers with CMU and Michigan pursuing him the most. In the end, the Chippewa staff was able to beat out Michigan and secure a commitment from the speedster back. “Onaje was the top running back on our list and we’re thrilled to have him committed to CMU. He may have been a little hesitant at first since we have been a pass first team this season, but we also strive to be a balanced team. We really just started having more in depth discussions about how we saw him fitting this offense and I think that’s what he wanted to know. He's got the size and speed to be a difference maker at running back.”

Future Contributors

The majority of the Chippewa recruiting class consists of players who figure to be likely contributors during their time in Mt. Pleasant, but could get passed by higher end talent in future recruiting classes. Regardless, nearly all of these players are likely to see the field at some point. The staff was very high on defensive tackle Tario Burgess and considered him as someone who could certainly see some snaps as a freshman. Other than that, look for most of these commits to redshirt in 2024.

DT Tario Burgess 6-2 333 Fr St. Philip Catholic Central ( MI) 3.0 of 3.5 [2-Gap]

OG Van Farris 6-3 336 Fr Berrien Springs (Berrien Springs MI) 2.0 of 3.5 [Pass Blocking]

OLB Devin Lentz 6-2 242 Fr Glen Lake (Maple City MI) 2.0 of 3.5 [Blitz]

TE Jamari Swain 6-1 200 Fr Glen Lake (Maple City MI) 1.5 of 3.5 [Receiving]

ILB Isaiah Fulford 6-3 234 Fr Oasis (Mount Pleasant, MI) 1.5 of 3.5 [Mike] *Silent Commit*

C Nicolas Cole 6-1 289 Fr North Branch (North Branch MI) 1.0 of 3.5 [Pass Blocking]

K August Keenan 5-7 154 Fr Alonso (Tampa FL) 1.0 of 3.5 [Accuracy]

OG Colin Leary 6-1 308 Fr Bellevue (Bellevue MI) 1.0 of 3.5 [Run Blocking]

QB Eric Stewart 6-1 200 Fr East Lansing (East Lansing MI) 1.0 of 3.5 [Pocket]

WR Dennis Marcum 6-0 186 Fr Cheboygan Area (Cheboygan MI) 1.0 of 3.5 [Speed]

Coach,

You managed to put together a nice class with some players who could play right away. Between Daniels and Burgess who do you think provides the most impact their freshman season?

24 minutes ago, MasonAsher said:

Coach,

You managed to put together a nice class with some players who could play right away. Between Daniels and Burgess who do you think provides the most impact their freshman season?

We like both players a lot, but there's probably a little more opportunity for DaeSean Daniels to get involved simply based on what we look to do on offense along with his ability as a return man. Either way, there's a good chance both young men get a shot to play next year.

Those graphics are FIRE. Great article!

(but if you wanna go ahead and talk about WMU I'm totally down for that)

Jesus those graphics are amazing 

Pretty unrealistic CMLife article without the subtle jabs at athletics ;)

1 hour ago, Jieret said:

Those graphics are FIRE. Great article!

(but if you wanna go ahead and talk about WMU I'm totally down for that)

12 minutes ago, Ape said:

Jesus those graphics are amazing 

Can't take credit for them other than customizing the details for my players. I'd like to learn graphic design some day, if I can ever find the time to teach myself. 

1 hour ago, SlinkyJr said:

Pretty unrealistic CMLife article without the subtle jabs at athletics ;)

Lol. One could say those jabs are not subtle in the least. 

8 minutes ago, wisconsinfan said:

Dang... those graphics look seriously professional, they're fire

They are professional. It’s from CMUs IRL signing day from last year. I just use a photo editing program to remove the info of the real player and then edit my recruits information into it. 

These graphics are seriously it, my guyyy