Bred First To Be Champions

The SMU Mustangs are your 11th CFBHC National Champions!

Detroit Sends Lions to Maul Chiefs

Detroit has won Super Bowl X! DE Ilan Kuhn was named Super Bowl MVP with 1.5 sacks and fumble recovery TD.

If You Can Dodge the Super Bowl, You Can Dodge a Ball

It's Pro Bowl season again, and with the return of the skills competition, Ron Rice (#97) will attempt to defend his dodgeball title.

The Cleveland Browns are On The Clock

The Browns dodged a winless season but still clinched the #1 pick. Who will they take #1 overall? Will they even keep the pick?
  • Shoutbox

Shoutbox

Please enter your display name

Sign in to follow this  
npklemm

[2023] Season in Review: Miami

MACConferenceFeatureLogo.png?w=1200

Coach: @chawsley

Pre-Season Projection: 3-9

Final Record: 2-10 (1-7), 6th in MAC West 

The Redhawks lost a bunch of talent from last year, and had no replacements for them. Through Week 9, they were scoring fewer than 7 Points per game. from that point on, they scored 20+ every game and finished 2-3. Not a great season, but definitely something to build on.

Schedule

STvKyVl.png

Like everyone else, the Redhawks went 1-3 against their OOC. They lost big to Fresno and Rutgers, but kept it close against Nevada. Then late in the year, they beat UMASS to get their first win of the year. By Week 9 or 10, they were firmly out of the Division race, but a win in Week 14 cemented Kent State's fate of not being bowl eligible.

Key Players

QB Ashton Hilliard (JR) - 108/211 1,178 Yards 6 TD 8 Drop 51.18% 99.88 QB Rating

RB Nazir Randolph (JR) - 259 Carry 1,171 Yards 9 TD 5 FL 4.52 YPC

WR Ahmed Crosby (JR) - 27 Rec 343 Yards 2 TD 1 Drop

DE Josiah Ornelas (JR) - 17 Tackle 2 TFL 4 Sack 1 FF

ILB Kayden Shaw (SO) - 60 Tackle 2 TFL

OLB Delonta Landry-Waters FR - 41 Tackle 5 TFL 2 Sack

SS Matthew Arnett (SO) - 41 Tackle 1 TFL 1 INT

Hilliard was genuinely awful, the worst QB in the conference. Partway through the year, the Redhawks went to a smashmouth scheme to limit his impact. Nazir Randolph was the focal point of the offense, and had some good games. He had loose hands though, as he lost 5 Fumbles on the year. Getting 4.52 YPC on 25-30 Carries a game is damn good for a 3.5. Ahmed Crosby was suddenly a non-factor once the scheme change happened, but he was the leading receiver. Ornelas had a solid year up front, while Kayden Shaw was very good behind him. Shaw was one of a handful of players in the conference with 60+ tackles. Landry-Waters was a playmaker on the outside of the defense, which was much needed and he was only a True Freshman. Matthew Arnett was one of the top players, as he had to clean up a lot of mistakes from in front of him.

Impact Recruits

SS Zontavius Pearson JR (4.0/4.5)

ILB Mitch Stallings JR (1.5/4.5)

OLB Evan Beckett FR (1.0/4.5)

FB Adam Vick FR (3.0/4.0)

DT John Coffman FR (1.0/4.0)

As good as Arnett was, Pearson is much better. Miami needs talent, and they can't be too picky about it. Mitch Stallings and Evan Beckett will be a great duo for 3 to 4 years for the Redhawks. Chawsley was not timid in recruiting, and it certainly paid off. Adam Vick will be an instant impact guy, I imagine Miami will utilize the same scheme this year. So, Vick will come in big for them. The Redhawks lose Morris Jackson at DT, and now get John Coffman. He may not be great year one, but should be a good replacement.

Season Awards

DE Josiah Ornelas - All-MAC, 2nd Team

ILB Kayden Shaw - All-MAC, 2nd Team

P Ivan Gonzales - All-MAC, 2nd Team

3 hours ago, npklemm said:

The Redhawks lose Morris Jackson at DT, and now get John Coffman. He may not be great year one, but should be a good replacement.

Am I missing something here? I thought he was a Junior and didn't early declare.

I mentioned it in my recruiting reviews, but I was very impressed with your recruiting @chawsley Primarily because of when you came on board in the season. You were able to scrap together a pretty good class, in my opinion. 

12 hours ago, chawsley said:

Am I missing something here? I thought he was a Junior and didn't early declare.

you're right, I got him confused with Akron's guys

thanks @robcarlson77  I found recruiting to be fun and luckily i was able to steal one of georgia's 4 stars to close out the year.