Bred First To Be Champions

The SMU Mustangs are your 11th CFBHC National Champions!

Detroit Sends Lions to Maul Chiefs

Detroit has won Super Bowl X! DE Ilan Kuhn was named Super Bowl MVP with 1.5 sacks and fumble recovery TD.

Training Camp SZN

Training camp has now opened up. The defending AFC champion Kansas City Chiefs got to it early as they try to make their way back to Super Bowl XI.

The Cleveland Browns Select Zach Lombardi

With the first overall pick in the 2024 NFLHC Draft, the Cleveland Browns select Zach Lombardi, Quarterback, Navy.
  • Shoutbox

Shoutbox

Please enter your display name

Sign in to follow this  
Dean_Craig_Pelton

[2024] Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets ACC Season Preview

image.png

ACC 2024 Season Previews

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

2023 Season

7th in ACC Coastal

2-10 Record 

No Bowl Appearance 

Key Departures

OG Wesley Driver 6-1 304 Sr Pelham (Pelham GA) 3.5 of 3.5 [Pass Blocking]

CB Bucky Andrews 5-11 187 Jr Druid Hills (Atlanta GA) 2.5 of 3.5 [Man Coverage]

Georgia Tech are probably the biggest winners of the ACC offseason as they have only lost one starter from last season. OG Wesley Driver started for the Yellow Jackets last season at right guard and was the lone senior starter for the Yellow Jackets. Driver was not selected in the NFL draft nor did he sign with any teams as a UDFA. Bucky Andrews left the team after being buried on the CB depth chart as he transferred to Wyoming. Coach Thatfunk likely isn’t losing any sleep over Andrews departure as he brought in two high potential CBs in his last recruiting class.

Key Additions 

WR Donovan Riggins 5-10 168 Fr Gaither (Tampa FL) 1.0 of 4.5 [Speed]

OG Devin Porter 6-6 326 Fr Stephenson (Stone Mountain GA) 1.0 of 4.5 [Run Blocking]

OLB Brody Glass 6-3 229 Fr Stephenson (Stone Mountain GA) 3.0 of 4.0 [Blitz]

ILB Isaac Hankins 6-2 261 Fr Killian (Miami FL) 1.0 of 4.5 [Mike]

CB Bobby Tatum 6-1 188 Fr Port Charlotte (Port Charlotte FL) 1.0 of 4.5 [Man Coverage]

CB Dillon Moody 6-2 169 Fr Taylor County (Butler GA) 1.0 of 4.5 [Man Coverage]

Coach Thatfunk was the king of the 1.0/4.5’s this recruiting cycle bringing in a total of 5 and giving the Yellow Jackets the 3rd highest rated class in the ACC and the 29th rated in the nation according to CFBHC.com. WR Donovan Riggins will be joining an incredibly talented group of receivers next season, if Sewell and Melvin return with a likely redshirted Riggings in 2025 their offense will be a force to be reckoned with. OG Devin Porter will also likely redshirt this season but was signed as the heir-apparent to OG Mayer Ludwig. Ludwig has been the star on the Yellow Jackets line for the last several years and Porter will have some big shoes to fill. Porter is considerably larger than Ludwig standing tall at 6’6 and weighing in at 326 pounds. Porter certainly has the size of an elite guard and the talent, but he is a raw prospect that may take a few years to develop. OLB Brody Glass is the only freshman this year who looks to make an impact day one. Glass excels at getting pressure up front and will look to rack up some sacks and tackles for loss for the Yellow Jackets over the next 4 years. ILB Isaac Hankins will be the likely successor to current starting ILB Jeffrey Stubbs after he graduates in 2025. Hankins was one of several recruits Coach Thatfunk signed from the state of Florida. He built some connections in the state when he coached the Gators and those connections are clearly starting to pay off for Georgia Tech. Thatfunk also brought in a tandem of corners that is sure to be an elite pairing in 3 years in CB Bobby Tatum and CB Dillon Moody. Tatum has the better frame for the next level but Moody still has good size. Both players should thrive in the Georgia Tech cornerback room, a unit that continues to produce great talent. It should also be noted that Thatfunk can raise the potential of one player by .5 every year and I wouldn’t be surprised to see some of these player’s ceilings grow. 

Key Returning Starters

QB Jacob Ramsey 6-5 212 (So) Northeast (Macon GA) 3.0 of 5.0 [Pocket]

WR Gabriel Sewell 6-0 188 (Jr) Tucker (Tucker GA) 4.5 of 4.5 [Speed]

WR Mitchell Melvin 5-9 186 (So) Warner Robins (Warner Robins GA) 3.5 of 4.5 [Speed]

OG Mayer Ludwig 6-2 300 (Sr) Thomas County Central (GA) 5.0 of 5.0 [Run Blocking]

DE Junior Mondragon 6-0 262 Jr Greenville (Greenville GA) 3.0 of 4.0 [Blitz]

ILB Jeffrey Stubbs 6-4 250 (Jr) Druid Hills (Atlanta GA) 4.0 of 4.0 [Mike]

CB Jabari Lloyd 5-11 165 (Jr) Taylor County (Butler GA) 4.5 of 4.5 [Man Coverage]

QB Jacob Ramsey is probably the player in the ACC I’m most interested this season. Ramsey had an alright freshman campaign but has progressed from a 2/4.5 to a 3/5. Ramsey put up 2000 yards and 14 TDs with 13 INTs last season but I could see him having a 3000 yard 24 TD 10 INT year this season if he plays up to potential. I see great potential for a Ramsey breakout year as he has both of his leading receivers from last year returning. Ramsey’s favorite target WR Mitchell Melvin played out of the slot for the Yellow Jackets and caught 51 passes for 673 yards along with 7 touchdowns. Melvin was beloved amongst fans for his sure hands with only one drop on the season. The arguably more talented WR #1 Gabriel Sewell had a rough 2023. Sewell only brought in 38 catches for 444 yards and 3 touchdowns. Sewell also led the team in drops with 6. Sewell still managed to get a +1.5 progression and should help ramp up the passing attack for Georgia Tech this year. Senior offensive guard Mayer Ludwig is the lone graduating star for the Yellow Jackets this season. Ludwig hopes to be the second Yellow Jacket drafted in the first round in school history. Tommy Pottios is the only player in Georgia Tech history to have been drafted in the first round (2018, 31st pick). DE Junior Mondragon has one of the best names in the ACC and was statistically the best player on their line last season with 5.5 sacks in addition to 5 tackles for loss. ILB Jeffrey Stubbs returns for his junior season after a sophomore campaign where he finished second on the team in tackles with 45. CB Jabari Lloyd had an alright season last year bringing in 2 interceptions for the Yellow Jackets in 2023. Thatfunk is hoping for a better overall performance from his secondary as too frequently his cornerbacks couldn’t be relied on to make tackles and SS Darren Bullock had to do a lot of cleanup last season. 

New Faces This Year

TE Joseph Coleman 6-2 218 (Fr) Richmond Hill (Richmond Hill GA) 2.5 of 4.0 [Blocking]

OG Nikolas Dewitt Jr. 6-2 270 (So) Whitefield Academy (Mableton GA) 3.0 of 4.0 [Pass Blocking]

CB Marcus Martin 6-2 181 (Fr) Putnam County (Eatonton GA) 2.5 of 4.0 [Man Coverage]

Due to the massive amount of returning starters Georgia Tech has, they don’t have many new faces this year. TE Joseph Coleman could see some play time this season as Georgia Tech’s tight ends last year were a non-factor only bringing in 18 catches for nearly 250 yards and 3 TDs. Coleman is also more useful as a blocker than the Yellow Jackets starters last season Marcus Oldham and Terrell Laws. OG Nikolas Dewitt Jr. will be replacing the only departing starter OG Wesley Driver and many fans believe Dewitt Jr. will actually be a step up for the Yellow Jackets. CB Marcus Martin may only be the 5th most talented corner on the roster this season but the freshman redshirt could make an impact this season if called upon. Martin is a talented, speedy corner with great size who should be able to keep up with elite receivers at the collegiate level. 

The Questions?

• Will Jacob Ramsey have taken a big enough leap this offseason to turn into one of the ACC’s biggest threats or will he be another letdown for Georgia Tech?
  • Can Georgia Tech overcome enough of their incredibly challenging out of conference schedule to reach bowl eligibility or will they fall short once again?
  • Which player will Thatfunk take under his wing this season and turn into a 5.0?

My Prediction

Georgia Tech is such an interesting team to me. When I saw they went 2-10 last season I did not expect to see all the talent on the roster that they had. Ramsey played more at his skill than his potential last season, as did Sewell. Both players had really solid progressions, however, and I do expect an increase in output from both of them this season. That being said, I’m not sure the same can be said for the Yellow Jackets this season. I touched on their difficult out-of-conference slate in The Questions section, but they get Vanderbilt to start the year at home before going to Wisconsin and Auburn and they end the year against their rival Georgia. It will be a down year for Wisconsin, but I don’t see many wins for Georgia Tech in OOC play or in conference this season. I think 5-7 will be a good year for the Yellow Jackets this season and they join my increasing list of ACC teams that frighten me in 2025/2026. 

Great write-up. I was really excited about the young talent on the roster when I took over GT. Last season was focused on mainly getting the younger guys experience and bringing in my own recruits who I felt can make an impact. You hit the nail on the head in regards to me focusing on 4.5’s. Obviously we all want 5.0’s but I was happy to focus elsewhere with the ability to improve one player a year. Ramsey is arguably the most talented QB I’ve ever coached so I’m excited to work with him and help make him a household name this year. I’m hoping this year can bring us back to a bowl but if not, then at least the tough schedule can hopefully help the guys get ready to seriously prepare for a run at the ACC title next year.