Bred First To Be Champions

The SMU Mustangs are your 11th CFBHC National Champions!

Detroit Sends Lions to Maul Chiefs

Detroit has won Super Bowl X! DE Ilan Kuhn was named Super Bowl MVP with 1.5 sacks and fumble recovery TD.

Training Camp SZN

Training camp has now opened up. The defending AFC champion Kansas City Chiefs got to it early as they try to make their way back to Super Bowl XI.

The Cleveland Browns Select Zach Lombardi

With the first overall pick in the 2024 NFLHC Draft, the Cleveland Browns select Zach Lombardi, Quarterback, Navy.
  • Shoutbox

Shoutbox

Please enter your display name

acewulf

Which Sim Coaches have an IRL Counterpart?

I've been meaning to post a discussion thread about this, but I have always wondered about different sim coaches and what their career trajectories have looked like over the life of the site.  Who are some of the best comparisons for Sim coaches to IRL coaches?  (Note: I do not mean for this to be used as a way to shit on a rival coach or to take shots at other coaches.   Just curious on who mimics who in the meta of the site)

I know that Danger has compared himself to Gary Patterson at irl TCU, but I would like to make a few other observations:

Jieret: Chris Petersen

Longtime coach of a well known, high performing G5 school that left to take the reins of a P5 school and has taken them to new heights with a playoff appearance.

Darman: David Cutcliffe

As much as I dislike the irl coach, Darman is a pretty good fit for this counterpart.  Takes over a team that is largely garbage and builds up the team over time to where they are a competent program producing NFL level talent.

HaffnHaff:  Lincoln Riley 

Young upstart with the program, but has taken the reins of a long time great and captained the ship to great heights.  Lots of high octane offenses and can be a machine when running at full capacity.

I'm better than Cut

Semi floundering offense, check

Solid defense, check

8-5 is best record here, check

Mediocre for past 2 years, check

If I make an ACCCG appearance I'm basically Pat Narduzzi.

1 minute ago, Darman said:

I'm better than Cut

I agree, but I was thinking of recent coaches that have taken programs like where Duke was and turned them around like you have.  Not a slight at all

My sim counterpart is former Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

An about .500 team who sometimes makes a splash and defeats a great team just to fall to a team that is below .500. Yeah that's about right. 

7 minutes ago, Minnow said:

An about .500 team who sometimes makes a splash and defeats a great team just to fall to a team that is below .500. Yeah that's about right. 

so either Paul or Matt which one

4 minutes ago, Qupax said:

so either Paul or Matt which one

Matt, but with a playoff appearance and no bowl losses. I have historically had good running backs like Matt and only 2 main QBs. No notable receivers in history. 

1 minute ago, Minnow said:

Matt, but with a playoff appearance and no bowl losses. I have historically had good running backs like Matt and only 2 main QBs. No notable receivers in history. 

Wait you took ISU to the playoffs? 2014?

43 minutes ago, acewulf said:

Note: I do not mean for this to be used as a way to shit on a rival coach or to take shots at other coaches

Well how else am I supposed to shit talk @Rome

54 minutes ago, acewulf said:

Young upstart with the program, but has taken the reins of a long time great and captained the ship to great heights.  Lots of high octane offenses and can be a machine when running at full capacity.

I coach playoff games about like Lincoln Riley does too.  Yeah, that seems like a perfect comp actually lol

I'm like Seth Littrell except I hate OU and I haven't regressed yet

@Qupax not 2014 but 2018 I tied with Kansas for the big 12 championship and lost the tie breaker. Being ranked #12 in the nation got me into the sugar bowl where I lost to Alabama. 

19 minutes ago, cmcgill said:

Not my job or jurisdiction

9 minutes ago, HAFFnHAFF said:

I coach playoff games about like Lincoln Riley does too.  Yeah, that seems like a perfect comp actually lol

Aren't you 3-2 in playoff games?

I'm obviously discount Houston Nutt. Take over a shitty Arkansas team after only one of underperforming at a g5, constantly complain about it there, and get a different SEC job. However, I have yet to get anyone fired for sexual misconduct because I was mentioned in a lawsuit yet. Working on that one right now.

I'm definitely a Tubby Raymond. Don't know what to run offensively? Just run the ball 70 times a game.

8 hours ago, acewulf said:

I've been meaning to post a discussion thread about this, but I have always wondered about different sim coaches and what their career trajectories have looked like over the life of the site.  Who are some of the best comparisons for Sim coaches to IRL coaches?  (Note: I do not mean for this to be used as a way to shit on a rival coach or to take shots at other coaches.   Just curious on who mimics who in the meta of the site)

I know that Danger has compared himself to Gary Patterson at irl TCU, but I would like to make a few other observations:

Jieret: Chris Petersen

Longtime coach of a well known, high performing G5 school that left to take the reins of a P5 school and has taken them to new heights with a playoff appearance.

Darman: David Cutcliffe

As much as I dislike the irl coach, Darman is a pretty good fit for this counterpart.  Takes over a team that is largely garbage and builds up the team over time to where they are a competent program producing NFL level talent.

What bout Time? 

9 minutes ago, nemolee.exe said:

What bout Time? 

I would say a good comparison is probably Dabo.  Took a long time to build them up to where they are right now and took time to finally reach the peak of winning a title within their window, but are here and still look great.

On 5/22/2020 at 3:24 PM, cmcgill said:

Spoiler

yEy5pQfNq5xfDTLa2dR7IReAtgi89pH_4jDEKiHA