Jump to content

Bred First To Be Champions

The SMU Mustangs are your 11th CFBHC National Champions!

Detroit Sends Lions to Maul Chiefs

Detroit has won Super Bowl X! DE Ilan Kuhn was named Super Bowl MVP with 1.5 sacks and fumble recovery TD.

Training Camp SZN

Training camp has now opened up. The defending AFC champion Kansas City Chiefs got to it early as they try to make their way back to Super Bowl XI.

The Cleveland Browns Select Zach Lombardi

With the first overall pick in the 2024 NFLHC Draft, the Cleveland Browns select Zach Lombardi, Quarterback, Navy.
  • Shoutbox

    Shoutbox

    Please enter your display name

Sign in to follow this  
iliveinadreamatorium

What are some popular songs that you think truly deserved the hype?

Recommended Posts

There was definitely a time in my life where I was of the mindset that anything that got radio play was automatically a bad song, but as I've grown, I've definitely developed a more nuanced take on my appreciation of music and I'm curious what songs that are tremendously popular that people think live up to their popularity. And I'll start us off with a couple examples to get things going.

 

In my teen years, I used to love South Park and really loved the episode that tore into Bono and through that, developed an opinion that U2 was overrated and stayed away from their music for awhile. But a few years back, I started listening to "U Talkin' U2 to Me?" and really learned to appreciate their music more and more. And I feel like "With or Without You" is just a truly transcendent song about love and heartbreak. The vocals on the track really demonstrate the yearning in the lyrics and the lyrics are simple, but evocative, making for a highly effective song that is also boosted by great instrumentation. 

 

 

 

Next, I want to talk about "Travelin' Soldier" by the Dixie Chicks- now, this song was released right at the time that country radio started boycotting the Dixie Chicks for denouncing Bush's support of the Iraq War at a concert in the UK, so technically, this song never got as popular as it should have, but it's still fairly widely known in the country music world and especially with fans of the Dixie Chicks. And it's known for a good reason, the song tells a heartbreaking narrative of a love lost in the Vietnam War and the story is crafted beautifully. As always, the Dixie Chicks build in some wonderful harmonies: 

 

 

 

Finally, let's talk about "thank u, next" by Ariana Grande- I feel like it's easy to reduce this song to just a simple radio pop song and think nothing else of it, but there's a reason why the song broke as many records as it did. In an era where most radio-pop is about problematizing exes (not naming any names, *coughs* T-Swift), Ari takes a complete departure here by showing her appreciation to everyone that she's been in a relationship with. Her reflections on her time with Mac Miller are touching (which gets even more heartbreaking on the album's "ghostin") and the song is both infectiously catchy and something completely new in its rejection of the norm of dismissiveness in pop culture relationships.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't care what anybody says, but Party in the USA is a banger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, iliveinadreamatorium said:

There was definitely a time in my life where I was of the mindset that anything that got radio play was automatically a bad song

 

In an era where most radio-pop is about problematizing exes (not naming any names, *coughs* T-Swift)

Not trying to hijack this thread right off the bat lol, but I don't think these are exclusive things - I don't listen to the radio anymore and instead discover new music like most of us probably do (Spotify, YouTube, the internet, etc), but one of my biggest problems with pop radio (across genres) was them playing the shit out of songs that I don't really care for. Taylor specifically has a 6 year old song about "shaking off the haters", which was fine when it released (though it seemed to usher in a new era for her to have odd, weak interludes and bridges, that if done once might be passable, but become off putting once theyre a pattern - "hey hey hey... You could've been getting down To this sick beat" "Band aids don't fix bullet holes" "boys only want love if its torture") but she hasn't departed that mentality - and that's really my biggest problem with her. Bad Blood came out the following year, which was all about "all the things done to poor Taylor", and then we got into the (awful) Look What You Made Me Do. I don't mind "embracing" the snake image, but we've already had years of her "fighting off the haters" here. But okay, it establishes the old Taylor is dead, which some people took as referring to her "innocent, country" persona but by the time this song came out, she'd gone through the Red album and 1989 and this was technically on her third album post-country, and it had been 7 years! And then we got You Need To Calm Down last year, which, surprise surprise, was about haters. "snakes and stones never broke my bones". Just seems entirely out of place, like she couldn't let it go from years prior.

 

Taylor might need to take her own advice:. "But I've learned a lesson that stressin' and obsessin' 'bout somebody else is no fun." Okay, so why is it your entire identity for the last half decade+, if it isn't fun to you. 

 

You need to calm down, you're being too loud
And I'm just like oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh (oh)
You need to just stop

 

Her departure from country into pop, wasn't awful. 22, We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, I Knew You Were Trouble, etc, could be viewed as "fun" if they weren't overplayed. But her subject hasn't changed since then, despite going from being 21 to being 30, and so it comes off as her team really knowing their audience, and as Taylor being an egomaniac. Shake it Off could have been "fun" if it didn't become her entire identity. And then she finally got back to releasing potentially "fun" songs with ME!, but even in ME!, it starts off as "I promise that you'll never find another like me". And we also continue the shitty nonsensical bridges, "spelling is fun! (proceeds to not spell anything and implies that there is a 'me' in the word 'team'." I'll give them awesome, but team?)

 

And so, contrary to the thread title, I think most of Taylor Swift's songs don't  truly deserve the hype, especially when she won some "Artist of the Decade" award despite her sound devolving in my eyes. This post has gone on too long and I've only just brushed the surface of how I feel lmao.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, llamas said:

Not trying to hijack this thread right off the bat lol, but I don't think these are exclusive things - I don't listen to the radio anymore and instead discover new music like most of us probably do (Spotify, YouTube, the internet, etc), but one of my biggest problems with pop radio (across genres) was them playing the shit out of songs that I don't really care for. Taylor specifically has a 6 year old song about "shaking off the haters", which was fine when it released (though it seemed to usher in a new era for her to have odd, weak interludes and bridges, that if done once might be passable, but become off putting once theyre a pattern - "hey hey hey... You could've been getting down To this sick beat" "Band aids don't fix bullet holes" "boys only want love if its torture") but she hasn't departed that mentality - and that's really my biggest problem with her. Bad Blood came out the following year, which was all about "all the things done to poor Taylor", and then we got into the (awful) Look What You Made Me Do. I don't mind "embracing" the snake image, but we've already had years of her "fighting off the haters" here. But okay, it establishes the old Taylor is dead, which some people took as referring to her "innocent, country" persona but by the time this song came out, she'd gone through the Red album and 1989 and this was technically on her third album post-country, and it had been 7 years! And then we got You Need To Calm Down last year, which, surprise surprise, was about haters. "snakes and stones never broke my bones". Just seems entirely out of place, like she couldn't let it go from years prior.

 

Taylor might need to take her own advice:. "But I've learned a lesson that stressin' and obsessin' 'bout somebody else is no fun." Okay, so why is it your entire identity for the last half decade+, if it isn't fun to you. 

 

You need to calm down, you're being too loud
And I'm just like oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh (oh)
You need to just stop

 

Her departure from country into pop, wasn't awful. 22, We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, I Knew You Were Trouble, etc, could be viewed as "fun" if they weren't overplayed. But her subject hasn't changed since then, despite going from being 21 to being 30, and so it comes off as her team really knowing their audience, and as Taylor being an egomaniac. Shake it Off could have been "fun" if it didn't become her entire identity. And then she finally got back to releasing potentially "fun" songs with ME!, but even in ME!, it starts off as "I promise that you'll never find another like me". And we also continue the shitty nonsensical bridges, "spelling is fun! (proceeds to not spell anything and implies that there is a 'me' in the word 'team'." I'll give them awesome, but team?)

 

And so, contrary to the thread title, I think most of Taylor Swift's songs don't  truly deserve the hype, especially when she won some "Artist of the Decade" award despite her sound devolving in my eyes. This post has gone on too long and I've only just brushed the surface of how I feel lmao.

  

 

 

You've definitely made some points here and that's probably one of the main reasons I'm not a Swiftie (and I'm definitely more partial to her earlier work than more recent songs, though I did really like 1989 as an album). I will give her one exception on her new album's singles as I feel like "Lover" is just a geniunely nice song that is a welcome departure from most pop-radio hits, but  I definitely would not be able to defend any of the other songs you mentioned.

 

Also, I do want to give a shoutout to "Dear John" as being another legitimately great T-Swift song and add a FUCK JOHN MAYER onto that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think all of the weeknd’s hit music becomes really overplayed but it’s just really good. Blinding lights, I can’t feel my face, and the hills are just some examples. He makes bangers. Love me harder with Ariana is also good. On that note I think some of Arianas new music is just kinda samey. She has a great voice and I love a lot of her 2013-2017 music but recently she’s not been as entertaining to me and I think part of that is overplayablity but I also just don’t like a lot of her new stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Osu said:

I think all of the weeknd’s hit music becomes really overplayed but it’s just really good. Blinding lights, I can’t feel my face, and the hills are just some examples. He makes bangers. Love me harder with Ariana is also good. On that note I think some of Arianas new music is just kinda samey. She has a great voice and I love a lot of her 2013-2017 music but recently she’s not been as entertaining to me and I think part of that is overplayablity but I also just don’t like a lot of her new stuff.

 

Agreed on The Weeknd (whose cameo in Uncut Gems is also great). I will say that I personally think Ariana's best album was "Sweetener", but her earlier stuff definitely had some bops. I feel like "thank u, next" was just a rushed production, but considering how quick the turnaround was, I still feel like it's a pretty impressive product overall, if not as good as her earlier work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...