• Shoutbox

Shoutbox

You don't have permission to chat.

Role Expansion Discussion

Please detail things you would be interested in seeing added for people playing the following roles:

• Owner
    • General Manager
    • Head Coach
    • Scout
    • Media (this can include things I provide to help the media)

What do you think of the following possible roles:

• Coordinators
    • Player Agents
    • Split Media (TV Networks or something similar)
    • Medical Department (hey someone asked)

medical department I don't see being very interesting as a player filled role, but that could still be something for the owners.

Have us with more options to spend cash involving other team operations, such as say, medical stuff. A medical team could influence stuff like, the chances for players to avoid injuries, or for them to recover faster. Or, if you skimp and put little to nothing in it, you have the risk of them messing up, pull a RG3 and collapse their lung, or something of the sort.

Agents could be fun. 

Idea: they represent more than just monetary interests, so in FA you actually make a "pitch" to a player about fit, playing time, winning outlook, etc. Money still is king but a better pitch means they may take a little less money to meet other needs. Also gives players more RP personality. 

1 minute ago, caesari said:

Agents could be fun. 

Idea: they represent more than just monetary interests, so in FA you actually make a "pitch" to a player about fit, playing time, winning outlook, etc. Money still is king but a better pitch means they may take a little less money to meet other needs. Also gives players more RP personality. 

Ran out of likes. I second this.

I'd be very excited to see the introduction of Coordinators. I was really excited about the HC skills concept and would love to see it come back as part of a coordinator update to replace the AI coaches we currently have.

Media would be great with a few "insiders" who are reporting the events we've had before. We would only need a few to diversify the posts and have them cover entire divisions. The same insider could cover both the NFC North and AFC North, for example.

Owners could deal with marketing like local ads, home game promotions, etc. The specifics don't really matter, but the goal would be to have owners play a (small) role in how many fans attend their home games and the home field advantage. Maybe teams try to push as many bonuses on one or two home division games, while others try to spread it out and win as many home games as possible. A counter-method could also be used to try and get fans to travel to an away game.

I am definitely intrigued by the agent role. Not sure how much work would be required to set things up, but players could have preferences such as money, winning, playing time, loyalty, etc. So if a team did not win many games their previous season, they would have to offer more money to sign star, veteran FAs. Or loyal players are more likely to resign contracts. Players that value playing time would look at where they would be projected on depth charts, and might accept less money if they will be a starter.

My one concern is not enough agents for the players, but perhaps only superstar players (above a certain rating) would have agents. 

Agents could also be in charge of extra things, like responding to media if their player is involved in a scandal. Agents could also track player's playing time and the players could express unhappiness as a warning via the agent and then threaten to be traded if they still aren't receiving enough playing time. If a team seems to be tanking or is performing really poorly, players could bench themselves or request to be traded. 

I don't think every player should react like this, but maybe some players come with attitude issues or something like that that makes them more likely to take actions like this.

In contract negotiations, there could be a range set so agents don't abuse their power. Although, there could also be a function where FA players might refuse to resign with a team if the team performed poorly or the player was unhappy with management.

Obviously, these are all just ideas. I wasn't super involved in NFLHC so I don't remember what player traits might already be in the game and what would be possible.

EDIT: Thinking more about contract negotiations, there could be an average value for certain rating ranges, but then minimum and max values that give the parties negotiating power to request more/less without it getting too out of hand.

5 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

I am definitely intrigued by the agent role. Not sure how much work would be required to set things up, but players could have preferences such as money, winning, playing time, loyalty, etc. So if a team did not win many games their previous season, they would have to offer more money to sign star, veteran FAs. Or loyal players are more likely to resign contracts. Players that value playing time would look at where they would be projected on depth charts, and might accept less money if they will be a starter.

My one concern is not enough agents for the players, but perhaps only superstar players (above a certain rating) would have agents. 

Agents could also be in charge of extra things, like responding to media if their player is involved in a scandal. Agents could also track player's playing time and the players could express unhappiness as a warning via the agent and then threaten to be traded if they still aren't receiving enough playing time. If a team seems to be tanking or is performing really poorly, players could bench themselves or request to be traded. 

I don't think every player should react like this, but maybe some players come with attitude issues or something like that that makes them more likely to take actions like this.

In contract negotiations, there could be a range set so agents don't abuse their power. Although, there could also be a function where FA players might refuse to resign with a team if the team performed poorly or the player was unhappy with management.

Obviously, these are all just ideas. I wasn't super involved in NFLHC so I don't remember what player traits might already be in the game and what would be possible.

EDIT: Thinking more about contract negotiations, there could be an average value for certain rating ranges, but then minimum and max values that give the parties negotiating power to request more/less without it getting too out of hand.

Yeah this is kind of how I envisioned it. I figured if only like one or two people wanted to be agents it would be 90+ players only or something similar.

What kinds of media roles would be introduced? Are we talking team specific media? Maybe the networks? Possibly even discussion shows similar to undisputed and first take? I’d personally like to be an independent media outlet with no connection to teams as a way to present my opinions on the season and teams around the league. 

1 minute ago, StorMy said:

What kinds of media roles would be introduced? Are we talking team specific media? Maybe the networks? Possibly even discussion shows similar to undisputed and first take? I’d personally like to be an independent media outlet with no connection to teams as a way to present my opinions on the season and teams around the league. 

So I'm trying to get that going. Right now we'd try to do division specific beat Writers who can do weekly articles about teams in a division. If you want to pm me about it, I can show you what I've kind of scripted out

50 minutes ago, Rocketcan said:

What would the "goals" of the agents be? Like the goals of owners, GMs, coaches, scouts, etc. Is to win the Superbowl, and media is to write the best media and earn the best reputation with the readers. What would the agents be gunning for? Biggest contracts? Most players signed? I guess what I'm getting at is:

200w.webp

a856e91d29f8aae586befd459aab2b5e.gif

2 hours ago, Rocketcan said:

What would the "goals" of the agents be? Like the goals of owners, GMs, coaches, scouts, etc. Is to win the Superbowl, and media is to write the best media and earn the best reputation with the readers. What would the agents be gunning for? Biggest contracts? Most players signed? I guess what I'm getting at is:

200w.webp

I wonder this myself. I suppose there's also the appeal of just being able to play gatekeeper. Like: Oh? You want this amazing player on your team? You gotta impress me first! I could imagine agent's meeting with teams on discord. Everyone giving their pitch privately, bringing out charts and shit. Could be fun.

3 hours ago, Rocketcan said:

200w.webp

I would argue the goal of every type of play is to have fun but if you need other goals I could implement some sort of achievement system. Maybe try to make the most money in total or something that is actually easily worked for.

1 hour ago, Soluna said:

I would argue the goal of every type of play is to have fun but if you need other goals I could implement some sort of achievement system. Maybe try to make the most money in total or something that is actually easily worked for.

And the best agents could represent the best most hyped players coming into the draft 

9 hours ago, Soluna said:

Well I would imagine contract negotiation stuff can go on all the time.

They can also deal with suspensions and such.

I'm not the biggest fan of Madden franchise but I think their contract negotiation system could work well here. If anyone doesn't know certain players unlock contract negotiation on certain weeks and from that point to the end of the regular season you can offer the player a contract once a week until they accept or say they want to test FA. I think something where the best of the best players hire some agent who tries to negotiate a contract for them could work. Don't know how in depth we would want it to go, maybe the player gives the agent an idea of what they're looking for and the agent and the team work out a deal if they can.

I think it makes some sense because the cream of the crop type players will most likely get a fair deal and not low balled if they're being represented by an actual user. Also it can work in the team's benefit as well since they get more than 2 tries on the year the contract is up for their best players. 

The question becomes if people want to do this for players (probably couldn't also sign up for a team since that seems like a conflict of interest) and also treat it fairly i.e. not try and screw over teams just for fun. Maybe scouts can be agents for players in the opposite conference or something, this idea probably still needs some work though.