• Shoutbox

Shoutbox

You don't have permission to chat.

Which great season has been mostly forgotten?

The Arizona Cardinals have a mastery of these kind of stats.

Rushing, the Cardinals have consistently had runners reach the 1k benchmark, which usually dictates a healthy offense. 
    Fred Tindale (1103 yards, 10 TDs in 2021)

Marshawn Matthison (1163, 7 in 2020)

Marshawn Matthison (1240, 10 in 2019)

Joseph Bowen (1338, 11 in 2017)

Tindale was injured in that season, which ultimately led to the end of his career. Matthison had a brief moment of potential with Buffalo with a monster game, but has been irrelevant. I have no idea who Bowen is and I’ve been here since 2019.

Passing, the Cardinals have never fared well, though Jarius Jones (4541 yards, 33 TD to just 13 INT) erupted in 2018 before getting hurt in 2019 and fading into obscurity as a veteran clipboard holder. 

and defensively, Ian Garner burst onto the scene with a 4 INT, 3 pick 6 season as a rookie, adding 5 more INT the next year and 6! in 2021.  His 2021 overlapped with Omar McManus (9.0 sacks) and rookie Josiah Harden (10.0 sacks). McManus would get severely hurt in 2022, though Harden reached new heights with 12.5. Where are all of these playmakers now? Well Garner, despite being a Zone CB, disappeared when the secondary was shifted from primarily man defenders to Zone in an attempt to coddle Garner. He’s since been shipped off to the Chargers, where he’s still struggled to live up to his draft positioning and 15 INTs in first 3 seasons start. McManus, the true one hit wonder of the defenders, has struggled to get back on the field, being a worst player on the field in the preseason and finding himself inactive on game days as the 6th DE on the Cardinals roster. Harden still starts, but has managed just 8.0 sacks in his last 27(+? I’d have to look deeper at his 2022 season) games

Akili had a great 2019: 337 for 1644 yards, 17 TDs

4.88 YPC (1st minimum of 100 carries), 3rd in yards, T-1st in TDs, T-1st 100 yard games (10)

We finished 8-8 so we weren't really in the conversation for a player to win OPOTY/MVP (doesn't help that Brian Brown had a monster season that year too, but when does he not have that and Nick Hall is Nick Hall)

edit:  This is not suggesting that Akili isn't recognized or anything.  Just that season was IMO his best as a pro and he seemingly didn't get the recognition that season I wished he did

1 hour ago, alienufo said:

Will Hall's rookie season was incredible, but he hasn't been nearly as good since.  Feel like hes been living off that reputation for a long time.

I also think Chester Henson's early dominance is kind of forgotten because he hasn't had the staying power that Abraham has had.

Yeah Henson was the best RB for the first like 5-6 years and I feel like it's kind of slipping in memory.

Mike Tripplett's 2017 is also kind of forgotten. He put up 122 catches for 1565 yards and 14 TDs. That's still the most receiving yards in any season, and his 122 catches was 28 more than the next highest player. 

He was kind of overshadowed by Abraham's 2k rushing yards, and Hall's 5k yards that season (both amazing years but more well known I think)

5 minutes ago, Dacder said:

Jarius' Jones first two seasons with the Cardinals he legitimately seemed like a future pro bowl level QB (hard carrying a corpse of a team in the 2nd), then organization changes happened iirc and no other coach was able to replicate that success with him. 

That's a good one. I thought he was gonna be awesome.

2 hours ago, SlinkyJr said:

I feel like Walt Peck has just dropped from relevance but he was so good at the beginning of the league

He was INSANE. He was putting up insane numbers in college and then somehow was even better in the pros.

It's not a great season, but in 2020 Jason Bryant had 44 tackles, 7 sacks, 3 picks, 2 FF and earned himself a pro bowl/all pro bid.  

He then turned down our contract offer only to sign for the same deal with the Chargers.  Unfortunately for him I don't think he ever returned to nearly that 2020 peak. 

3 hours ago, SlinkyJr said:

I feel like Walt Peck has just dropped from relevance but he was so good at the beginning of the league

1 hour ago, Rome said:

He was INSANE. He was putting up insane numbers in college and then somehow was even better in the pros.

ive always felt like he never dropped off, we just added more weapons. His rate stats are fairly consistent across his entire career 

12 hours ago, Soluna said:

Yeah Henson was the best RB for the first like 5-6 years and I feel like it's kind of slipping in memory.

I mean Henson was certainly the best for the first couple of seasons, but Abraham caught up by his MVP season in 2016. 

18 hours ago, Dacder said:

Jarius' Jones first two seasons with the Cardinals he legitimately seemed like a future pro bowl level QB (hard carrying a corpse of a team in the 2nd), then organization changes happened iirc and no other coach was able to replicate that success with him. 

....yet

round 2 here we go