Jump to content
  • Shoutbox

    Shoutbox

    You don't have permission to chat.

    [Resolution Idea] No Trade Clause in Agent-Negotiated Contracts


    Recommended Posts

    Summary: Creates the ability to add a no-trade clause to contracts that are negotiated with an agent.
    Effective Date: Effective immediately on the passage of this resolution
    Soluna's Workload: Minimal. Teams and agents will track players with no-trade clauses. Teams must make a note on their cap sheet if a player has a no-trade clause.

    Official Proposal:

    TBD

     

    Rules:

    1. No-trade clauses will be for the entirety of the contract.

    2. Agents may waive a no-trade clause. They should act in the best interest of the player. Playing time, player happiness, team success should be some of the factors considered.

    3. Teams may actively shop a player with a no-trade clause without talking to the agent first. Teams should notify the agent when a trade is being negotiated with another team to see if the clause will be waived. When a finalized trade is posted, the agent should post and confirm that the player's no-trade clause has been waived. The trade will not go into effect before the agent confirms.

    4. If a player's agent goes inactive (14 days since log-in), the no-trade clause will be automatically waived. If the player signs with a new agent, the no-trade clause will be active again and the new agent has to waive it in order for a trade.

    5. If a no-trade clause is waived and the player is traded, the clause will be removed from the contract and not affect the new team.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Pros:

    1. Gives agents another tool in their toolbox during negotiations

    2. Gives agents another way to be involved but shouldn't be time-consuming

    3. Gives teams an opportunity to potentially lower contract costs

    4. Adds interesting scenarios in the future

     

    Cons:

    1. Agents could demand a no-trade clause to be included so that they have more control over the player

    2. Agents may delay trade negotiations

    3. May decrease the amount of blockbuster trades we see

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 2/21/2021 at 10:58 PM, Bubada said:

    Cons:

    1. Agents could demand a no-trade clause to be included so that they have more control over the player


    this would be my concern. Maybe there’s an overall threshold to being able to ask for one. Like an 82 overall player wouldn’t have the clout to ask for a no trade clause, but someone like Nick Hall could. 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, jmjacobs said:


    this would be my concern. Maybe there’s an overall threshold to being able to ask for one. Like an 82 overall player wouldn’t have the clout to ask for a no trade clause, but someone like Nick Hall could. 

    Yes, parameters could include OVR, years of service, etc. 

     

    I like something along the lines of: must be a 90+ OVR with minimum 5 years of service at time of contract negotiation. If a player drops below 90 OVR, that's just fine, their No Trade Clause remains. 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    9 hours ago, bingo415 said:

    Yes, parameters could include OVR, years of service, etc. 

     

    I like something along the lines of: must be a 90+ OVR with minimum 5 years of service at time of contract negotiation. If a player drops below 90 OVR, that's just fine, their No Trade Clause remains. 

     

    5 years is way too long, should just be eligible if they're 90+ OVR OR if they have some high (5-7?) years of service (for older vets)

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

     

    5 years is way too long, should just be eligible if they're 90+ OVR OR if they have some high (5-7?) years of service (for older vets)

    I like the idea of making it a threshold thing for the overall OR older vet stuff. Even still I like leaning on the longer end of the range you mentioned. 7 seems pretty good to me. At that point you're probably coming off your 2nd/3rd contract.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

    Guest
    Reply to this topic...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

    Loading...
    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...