Titans win Super Bowl XII

Tennessee wins its first title after a victory over Chicago.
  • Shoutbox

Shoutbox

You don't have permission to chat.

Comeback Player of the Year Discussion

Soluna

6 minutes ago, Dean said:

Erik Wegert to me is the comeback player of the year.  I've been down on him for a while, and he's done nothing but prove me wrong this year.

Just looked it up and...wow. QB rating went from 84.5 (28th among qualifiers) to over 100 (5th). And has his team one win from a division title.

All stats are from the most recent wiki update which was post-week 15. Focusing on players who were placed on IR last year (particularly season-ending IR) and are having significant years now, my top 5 would go:

5. QB Eric McLean (NYG) - Came back from a late rotator cuff injury and has put up 3810 yards and 24 TD to 7 INT on 61.5% passing. If the Giants make the playoffs, I would move him up to 3rd.

4. Taylor Heiden (PIT) - Spent most of last season battling a rotator cuff injury and has fought through more injuries this year. He's still gutted out 2564 passing yards and 14 TD to 3 INT, along with 162 rushing yards and 5 more TD, and the Steelers are in the division race.

3. SS Antonio Jackson (MIA) - The only reason Jackson isn't higher on the list is because his wrist injury was not season-ending, but he's been a superstar for the Miami defense. 89 tackles (2nd among SS), 2 TFL, 1 INT, 3 PD (T-2nd among SS), 1 FF, and he's got a lot of room to grow even further.

2. OLB Ryan Bailey (DAL) - He's been fighting injuries ever since he's been in the league. He suffered a season-ending rotator cuff injury in training camp last year, then went out and put up 67 tackles, 9 TFL, 8.0 sacks, 1 INT, 1 PD, and 1 FF this season...before suffering another season-ending rotator cuff injury. If he comes back and even plays in 2026 he ought to win Comeback Player of the Year just for that.

1. QB Mohammed Foster (CHI) - No bias. But Foster came back from his PCL tear during the back half of last season and has played the absolute best football of his career. 280-414 for a career-best 3596 yards, 20 TD, 6 INT, and another 513 rushing yards and 5 TD on 89 carries. He entered week 16 having thrown for more yards than any other scrambler and being one of 7 QBs to account for 4000+ total yards and 25+ total TD. He also came into that week ranked 4th in the NFL in passer rating and 2nd in completion percentage. He not only regained his form from last year, he elevated it.

The players I considered:

Spoiler

Dallas OLB Ryan Bailey had a season-ending rotator cuff injury in training camp last year. This year: 12 statsheets, 67 tackles, 9 TFL, 8.0 sacks, 1 INT, 1 PD, 1 FF. 1 best-grade, 1 worst-grade.

Steelers OLB Patrick Murphy had a season-ending ACL tear in training camp last year. This year: 12 statsheets, 65 tackles, 6 TFL, 6.5 sacks, 1 FF, 1 FR. 1 worst-grade.

Steelers QB Taylor Heiden missed significant time last year with a week 7 rotator cuff injury. This year: 201-306 for 2564 yards, 14 TD, 3 INT, 1/0 F/L; 37 carries for 162 yards, 5 TD. Two best-grades.

Seattle WR Derrick Schwartz had a season-ending rotator cuff injury last year. This year: 46 receptions for 831 yards, 4 TD. No outlier grades.

Miami SS Antonio Jackson missed significant time with a wrist fracture. This year: 12 statsheets, 89 tackles, 2 TFL, 1 INT, 3 PD, 1 FF. Two best-grades.

Packers OT Quinn Bouman had a season-ending ACL tear week 10. No outlier grades.

Then-Chiefs/now-Packers K Ryan Levcik had a season-ending Achilles rupture week 11. This year: 21-22 FG, 5-5 FG50+, 5-5 FG40-49, 14-15 XP. No outlier grades.

Chicago QB Mohammed Foster had a season-ending PCL tear week 12. This year: 280-414 for 3596 yards, 20 TD, 6 INT, 2/1 F/L; 89 carries for 513 yards, 5 TD. Three best-grades.

Then-Titans/now-Panthers RB Chad Dess had a season-ending ACL tear week 12. This year: 156 carries for 724 yards, 8 TD, 2/2 F/L. No outlier grades.

Giants QB Eric McLean had a season-ending (due to timing) rotator cuff injury week 14. This year: 311-506 for 3810 yards, 24 TD, 7 INT, 1/0 F/L. Two best-grades.

Buffalo OT Mike Woods had a season-ending (due to timing) rotator cuff injury. No outlier grades.

Titans K Ilan Youngblood had a season-ending ankle fracture week 17. This year: 14-15 FG, 3-4 FG50+, 4-4 FG40-49, 28-30 XP. No outlier grades.

5 hours ago, cultur3 said:

Jarvis Heard, I’ll edit and break the stats down from last year to this year later. But he’s been massive for MATTTTT. Very happy with that trade and I’m sure the Bucs are too. Helped us both out. 

1117 yards on 71 receptions (15.73), 9 TD thus far.

vs

884 on 74 (11.9), 4 TD last year 

6 hours ago, stormstopper said:

4. Taylor Heiden (PIT) - Spent most of last season battling a rotator cuff injury and has fought through more injuries this year. He's still gutted out 2564 passing yards and 14 TD to 3 INT, along with 162 rushing yards and 5 more TD, and the Steelers are in the division race

Yeah, we're a much better team when he plays.  He only played 6 games last season and threw for 1,612 yards with 6 TDs and 6 Ints.  He had a passer rating of 77.49 and has bounced back to 102.92 through 11 games this season. 

Another candidate is Patrick Murphy. Hurt in training camp and missed the entire year last year.  He's bounced back with 65 tackles, 6 TFL, and 6.5 sacks with 1 FF and 1 FR.

16 hours ago, stormstopper said:

2. OLB Ryan Bailey (DAL) - He's been fighting injuries ever since he's been in the league. He suffered a season-ending rotator cuff injury in training camp last year, then went out and put up 67 tackles, 9 TFL, 8.0 sacks, 1 INT, 1 PD, and 1 FF this season...before suffering another season-ending rotator cuff injury. If he comes back and even plays in 2026 he ought to win Comeback Player of the Year just for that.

Unfortunately, this was Bailey's third +, so I believe he'll be retiring after the season ends.

19 hours ago, mahrowkeen said:

I nominate Gavin Faulk. Soluna said he was never good in the shoutbox.  No one look into his stats from 2024. Just trust.

He had 900 yards and 5 TDs as a first rounder. 34 year old Riddick Smith is outperforming those stats this year. I don't know who I'm wrong.

He's still fourth lowest of all time in yards through 3 years for a first round receiver (obviously there's two games left).

26 minutes ago, Soluna said:

He had 900 yards and 5 TDs as a first rounder. 34 year old Riddick Smith is outperforming those stats this year. I don't know who I'm wrong.

He's still fourth lowest of all time in yards through 3 years for a first round receiver (obviously there's two games left).

Your statement was that he was never good. While he had a dreadful rookie year (100 yards), he had over 900 last season, and is over 1000 this year. If you meant he deserved consideration last season, then sure. 

2000 yards in 3 seasons is certainly more than we wanted from the #7 pick. But, he has had 2 good seasons back to back. And had we not played TMac way before he was ready last season, he’s probably got a few hundred more yards. 

Your blanket statement isn’t incorrect if “good” means Pro Bowl or better. But his stats the last 2 seasons as WR2 seem above average at least.