Titans win Super Bowl XII

Tennessee wins its first title after a victory over Chicago.
  • Shoutbox

Shoutbox

You don't have permission to chat.

Recruiting going forward discussion

How do you guys want to do recruiting going forward? I'll let you redesign it however you guys want to as long as we can agree on it.

Does anyone have any ideas? Anything they want redone or different?

I've thought about this a lot and maybe I will add more ideas later in the discussion but I think that it would be important for the integrity and fairness of the game that we get an open book to confirm everything at the end if we are doing a point based system again. It would be cool to analyze the strategies people choose and at the end everyone can at least understand why they either did well or did not.

I think the big key to this is not over complicating things. Especially if we don’t have someone besides Soluna to run or help recruiting who can be dedicated to being consistent with it. 
    If we wanted to do the older system with fewer stages of recruiting, I do think we need to redo the breakdowns of regions. Recruiting is also probably the best way to bring in newer members, especially as some people start to age out. 
    I wouldn’t be against having a shorter list of 4 and 5 star players, with a distribution of 3 stars and below based off of prestige, program track record at making pros, and how they recruited. The big thing I think we should try to make sure happens imo is making sure that we don’t have programs that are undesirable because they are at such a talent brain drain. 
    I def want to be active in this discussion and I hope others are too

One thing I think we should potentially consider is to have AI college teams get only generated recruits (including potentially 4.0s- 5.0s) and have the size of the class dependent on the number of actively controlled teams per season. 

AI sucks at recruiting and having potentially 50 teams recruiting a pool of players intended for 128 is going to result in anyone joining getting stuck with a terrible team even if they are P5 team.

I think the biggest issue we're going to run into is management. Without the interface, recruiting is a LOT of work, and that's difficult to get around.

What if we made a simpler version of the old recruiting system? Instead of a point bidding system, reduce it to simply an offer system. Each week every team posts a list of the players they're bidding on/recruiting and a weighted coin is flip to determine where they go. After week one, the results can be "soft commit" or "considering multiple" with a list of the schools being considered. You can recruit players committed to another school, but week 2 is early signing, after which, still committed players will sign and no longer become recruitable.

We could also add in NIL budgets where certain tiers of players will cost a certain amount to sign. Not a bidding system, but a buying one. If they commit to another school, you can reallocate that budget to another player.  

If it's not too difficult to set up the coin flip mechanics, I think that this removes some of the work of keeping points and simplifies things a bit. 

IMO, the best way to do it is a point based system  with a comittee overseeing the process and managing the system. I don't think we need/can/should put that amount of extra work on Soluna's shoulder, but also, for transparency purposes, having only one person running it all would not be good too.

Also, IMO, what we could do is limit the players that a coach can bid on each round. This way, we can at least have an idea of the amout of work the committee will have, and I'm sure we can set up a google sheet that will easy the work.

Respectfully, I don't like the idea of the coin flip system. It takes away some of the strategy part of recruiting, wich is one of the things I most like about the site.

Do we still have access to the dice? What about instead of a coin flip, you declare interest by rolling the dice.  It could be weighted something like this or some variation so there is still some realism to it but also some luck.

National Champ - Count all 5 dice plus 1 or 2 extra points.

Playoff Teams - Count all 5 dice.

Bowl Teams - Count first 4 dice.

Everyone else - Count first 3 dice.

Each week you can declare interest on up to 10 new players.

Each week you can declare 2 players as high profile recruits prior to the roll where the roll counts double or maybe a set number of dice count double.

Maybe after the first week if you're less than half of the leader you're considered to no longer be in consideration and can no longer roll on that player but new teams can jump in.

So after week 1, Team A rolled 12 points and Team 2 rolled 5 points.  Team 2 would be removed from said player.  After week 2, Team A Is now up to 20 points but Team C now has 13 points, both teams A and C can bid again the following week.

The public rolls let you know where you stand with a recruit. Maybe whoever makes the initial roll on a player is responsible for keeping the tally for that player.  When a team is double more than every other team or the only team on a player for multiple weeks they consider them signed.

Could be cumbersome as every player would need their own post so I could see some double posts unless the forum could sort alphabetically.  There would be a week time frame to get rolls in.  Could be too cumbersome but puts the responsibility back on the community.  Maybe there is a 5-10 person panel that approves the signing after a player is declared signed.

I hope you brought a pencil and paper because I am going to give you an entire lecture here. 

Recruiting  would be on the basis of points. Each school in the FBS will start with 250 base points every week, FCS will start with 200 points. That number might go up or go down depending on modifiers. There will be modifiers based off 4 factors. One factor would be on how the team plays:

100 points - Team wins the championship
    50 points - Team makes it to the playoffs

25 points - Team makes it to a bowl

0 points - Team does make it to a bowl

Another factor would be based off how many wins a team has: 

30 points - Team wins 10-12 games
    20 points - Team wins 7-9 games

10 points - Team wins 4-6 games

0 points - Team wins 0-3 games

The third factor would be based off of how well a team has played based off of how they were expected to play: 

100 points - Team played better than expected 
    50 points - Team played as expected
    0 points - Team played worst than expected

And the final factor would be based off of fanbase morale from last season -- based off  games won in contrast to games they were expected to win (Bowl Eligibility could also be a factor for some teams):
    1.5x- Team's fanbase were ecstatic about last season.
    1.25x - Team's fanbase were happy about last season

1x - Team's fanbase were okay about last season.

0.9x - Team's fanbase were unhappy about last season. 

Every week of recruiting you will get the amount of points that you get based on those factors. Simply allocate points to the players that you want. (Make sure you don't spend it all on the player that you want!)

It might sound easy, but there is more. Some teams might already have an advantage. Players will release their list of dream schools. The more you bid if you are a dream school of a certain player, the more likely you will successfully recruit that player. This will usually be a higher-prestige team or a team in the same state (or near) a player's highschool/hometown. Recruiting as a dream school could end up giving you a slight advantage... let's say 5% of points allocated... over other schools, so keep an eye out! Besides, you won't know who else bid on your player unless you bid for him.. (Or maybe unless you check out In-Season Scouting High School Scouting threads every week, but you won't know the amount of points each college put out).

There are also certain preferences that come into a player choosing a school. These are the "wants" of a player.  These factors will include of school location (Close By, No Preference, International), school academic success (Excellent Academic Rating, Good Academic Rating, Okay Academic Rating, No Preference), staff rating (Good Staff, Good Head Coach, Okay Staff, Okay Head Coach, No Preference), school team alignment (FBS (Power 5 Leaning), FBS (Group 5 Leaning), FCS, No Preference), and school rating/prestige/performance (Champion-Caliber Team (11 to 12 wins), Bowl-Contending Team (10 to 8 wins) , Winning Team (6 to 7 wins), Losing Team(5 wins or less), No Preference). These preferences could also give an edge -- 2.5%, in fact -- in the recruiting game for that player. The 5-star recruits will have at least one of these preferences. So.. watch out for those!

Each school will also have 5 visits. They can use these visits on any player they wish, although the player can decline based off of the preferences of the player. 

Each school will be weighed in equally. All total points for a player from all colleges will be added up and each school will be represented with a percentage of how many points they allocated for that player divided by the total points. The school with the higher percentage of votes compared to other schools will successfully recruit that player! Even before the end of the recruiting period, any college that recruits a player with a percentage over 50 percent will automatically recruit that player.  

Here is an example of what I just said:
    College A, College B, College C, and College D all allocated points to rising-star QB Soluna Goodplayer to recruit to their team. (Here how the colleges did last season doesn't matter.) Soluna releases his dream school list and his preferences. Colleges A, B, and C are on his dream school list, but D is not. College A put in 65 points, College B put in 32 points, College C put in 49 points, and College D put in 43 points. A, B, C all get more points due to being on that dream school list. Here is the preference list of Soluna Goodplayer:

QB Soluna Goodplayer 6-7 225 Fr HighSchool (HighSchool FL) 1.0 of 5.0 [Hybrid]

Preferences:
    Academics: Excellent Academic Rating (College A and College C fits that criteria)

Staff Rating: Good Head Coach (College A, College C, and College D fits that criteria)
    Team Alignment: No Preference (All schools fit that criteria)
    School Rating: Bowl-Contending Team (College A, College B, and College C fits that criteria)

After all of that, College A, B, and C would get 5% of their allocated points for being on the dream school list, and for each criteria matched (other than where there is no preference, the colleges will get 2.5% to their point total after the 5% point allocation. College A and College C would have 7.5% added to their points, While College B and College D will have 2.5%

On that note, College A has 73 points. College B has 35 points. College C has 56 points. And finally, College D has 44 points.  This makes a new total of 198 total points.

College A would be in the lead with 36.9%, followed by College C with 28.3%. College D would be third with 22.2% -- not far behind. In last place we would have College B with 17.7%. These numbers might change if this was somewhere in the middle of the recruiting period -- or the beginning. Anything could change, these colleges would allocate more points then. But if this was the end of the recruiting period, then College A would be the one that wins Soluna Goodplayer. 

Alright so.... thoughts?

17 minutes ago, nemolee.exe said:

I hope you brought a pencil and paper because I am going to give you an entire lecture here. 

Recruiting  would be on the basis of points. Each school in the FBS will start with 250 base points every week, FCS will start with 200 points. That number might go up or go down depending on modifiers. There will be modifiers based off 4 factors. One factor would be on how the team plays:

100 points - Team wins the championship
    50 points - Team makes it to the playoffs

25 points - Team makes it to a bowl

0 points - Team does make it to a bowl

Another factor would be based off how many wins a team has: 

30 points - Team wins 10-12 games
    20 points - Team wins 7-9 games

10 points - Team wins 4-6 games

0 points - Team wins 0-3 games

The third factor would be based off of how well a team has played based off of how they were expected to play: 

100 points - Team played better than expected 
    50 points - Team played as expected
    0 points - Team played worst than expected

And the final factor would be based off of fanbase morale from last season -- based off  games won in contrast to games they were expected to win (Bowl Eligibility could also be a factor for some teams):
    1.5x- Team's fanbase were ecstatic about last season.
    1.25x - Team's fanbase were happy about last season

1x - Team's fanbase were okay about last season.

0.9x - Team's fanbase were unhappy about last season. 

Every week of recruiting you will get the amount of points that you get based on those factors. Simply allocate points to the players that you want. (Make sure you don't spend it all on the player that you want!)

It might sound easy, but there is more. Some teams might already have an advantage. Players will release their list of dream schools. The more you bid if you are a dream school of a certain player, the more likely you will successfully recruit that player. This will usually be a higher-prestige team or a team in the same state (or near) a player's highschool/hometown. Recruiting as a dream school could end up giving you a slight advantage... let's say 5% of points allocated... over other schools, so keep an eye out! Besides, you won't know who else bid on your player unless you bid for him.. (Or maybe unless you check out In-Season Scouting High School Scouting threads every week, but you won't know the amount of points each college put out).

There are also certain preferences that come into a player choosing a school. These are the "wants" of a player.  These factors will include of school location (Close By, No Preference, International), school academic success (Excellent Academic Rating, Good Academic Rating, Okay Academic Rating, No Preference), staff rating (Good Staff, Good Head Coach, Okay Staff, Okay Head Coach, No Preference), school team alignment (FBS (Power 5 Leaning), FBS (Group 5 Leaning), FCS, No Preference), and school rating/prestige/performance (Champion-Caliber Team (11 to 12 wins), Bowl-Contending Team (10 to 8 wins) , Winning Team (6 to 7 wins), Losing Team(5 wins or less), No Preference). These preferences could also give an edge -- 2.5%, in fact -- in the recruiting game for that player. The 5-star recruits will have at least one of these preferences. So.. watch out for those!

Each school will also have 5 visits. They can use these visits on any player they wish, although the player can decline based off of the preferences of the player. 

Each school will be weighed in equally. All total points for a player from all colleges will be added up and each school will be represented with a percentage of how many points they allocated for that player divided by the total points. The school with the higher percentage of votes compared to other schools will successfully recruit that player! Even before the end of the recruiting period, any college that recruits a player with a percentage over 50 percent will automatically recruit that player.  

Here is an example of what I just said:
    College A, College B, College C, and College D all allocated points to rising-star QB Soluna Goodplayer to recruit to their team. (Here how the colleges did last season doesn't matter.) Soluna releases his dream school list and his preferences. Colleges A, B, and C are on his dream school list, but D is not. College A put in 65 points, College B put in 32 points, College C put in 49 points, and College D put in 43 points. A, B, C all get more points due to being on that dream school list. Here is the preference list of Soluna Goodplayer:

QB Soluna Goodplayer 6-7 225 Fr HighSchool (HighSchool FL) 1.0 of 5.0 [Hybrid]

Preferences:
    Academics: Excellent Academic Rating (College A and College C fits that criteria)

Staff Rating: Good Head Coach (College A, College C, and College D fits that criteria)
    Team Alignment: No Preference (All schools fit that criteria)
    School Rating: Bowl-Contending Team (College A, College B, and College C fits that criteria)

After all of that, College A, B, and C would get 5% of their allocated points for being on the dream school list, and for each criteria matched (other than where there is no preference, the colleges will get 2.5% to their point total after the 5% point allocation. College A and College C would have 7.5% added to their points, While College B and College D will have 2.5%

On that note, College A has 73 points. College B has 35 points. College C has 56 points. And finally, College D has 44 points.  This makes a new total of 198 total points.

College A would be in the lead with 36.9%, followed by College C with 28.3%. College D would be third with 22.2% -- not far behind. In last place we would have College B with 17.7%. These numbers might change if this was somewhere in the middle of the recruiting period -- or the beginning. Anything could change, these colleges would allocate more points then. But if this was the end of the recruiting period, then College A would be the one that wins Soluna Goodplayer. 

Alright so.... thoughts?

This sounds awesome...

And super incredibly hard to execute

If we chose to go with a point based system, I'm sure we can build some googlesheets and automate a good portion of the process. We can give a deadline to the players to use their points, and, after that import data from a lot of sheets to a "recruiting master sheet". I know we have some google sheets magicians on the site that can implement that. Even I can try to build something like this.